Shop / Tools Tool box organization

Caleb

So, I finally got myself a decently sized box. Nothing too fancy (52" Husky) but I want to try to set it up in a way that everything has a specific place. My current box has a drawer for 1/4", one for 3/8", and one for 1/2" socket and ratchets. However, those drawers have turned in to an impossible mess, trying to find that 12mm and all I can find are 11mm sockets and 13mm sockets. I end up spending a huge amount of time trying to find the tool I need.

Anyways, I know there are many on here that either do or have made a living out of your toolbox, what do you to keep everything organized. What are some tips and tricks to keep your toolbox in check?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
One of the cheapest/easiest things I've added were HF socket organizers. I also have little racks for my open end wrenches that helped a lot as well.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor

Caleb

Cool, wasn't sure what you meant by the socket organizer (I've tried the rails and they start off nice, but due to being a pain to get on and off, they end up not being used) . I like the tray idea. On the end wrenches, I just bought a couple new sets and they came on some plastic thinks like what you linked, I've left them on those until I could find something more permanent, I like those magnetic ones.

Caleb

I like the magnetic label idea. I was planning to break out the label maker once I had it how I wanted it, magnetic would make it better.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm going to hang a few of these off my grinder cart and a few other places in the new garage.

I have one for electrical and another for air hose and like both of them quite a bit. Depending on where your toolbox is in the garage you may want to attach a few to your toolbox?

Tonkaman

I have a bunch of these organizers for wrenches, and screwdrivers. They save a TON of space! https://toolboxwidget.com/products/toolbox-widget/?variant=12674192867394

I have these for my plier drawer, mostly for the random uncommon ones. https://www.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-Pliers-Organizer-Storage/dp/B01M27BV34

I love these docket organizers. I have one for long, mid, and short length sockets in both metric and SAE for all drive sizes for a total of 18 rails! The only downside is the height, be sure you have drawers deep enough to use them. Many budget tool boxes have to short of drawers for this kind of thing. https://www.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-Piece-Set-Organizers/dp/B077F17PJ9?ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_13191597011

This bit organizer is a godsend. https://www.amazon.com/Olsa-Tools-O...lty/dp/B07NZ823BZ?ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_13191597011

Caleb

Nice suggestions! I swung by HF on my way home and picked up several things. The socket trays Carl suggested, love them. The magnetic end wrench organizer, I’m mixed on them, I may try something else...I like those toolbox widgets! I picked up some drawer organizer bin things, was mostly thinking for those things that you need to have, but there isn’t a set so they’re just kind of odd balls. I also picked up a plier organizer like posted above. Works good so far.

Keep the ideas coming, I like seeing what others are using.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I have a couple of these for sockets. I don't have multiple socket sets for home and the rig and I usually pack tools when I camp so these are nice to keep sockets grab-able. I use one for short and one for long sockets and keep metric on one side and SAE on the other. When I'm home they go in the socket drawer of my tool box and when I'm packing up they go in a adventure tool company tool pouch with my ratchets.

Other than that I have a drawer for screw drivers, another for sockets/ratchets, and another for pliers and nippers and whatnot. The hardest part is putting the tools back in the box after using them rather than dumping them on the bench or on the table saw or anything else thats within hands reach.

boogie_4wheel

I dislike the HF socket organizer; the last ones I saw were missing a couple sizes in the string (I think it was an 11 or 13mm on the 3/8 for example). A friend has the HF and they irritate me. I have the Sears brand organizers, they hold every size until I get near 30mm. Also, get the finger style socket holders that the socket can be dropped over, not the snap on style that requires two hands to remove/replace.

I like a box with one large deep drawer, all of my sockets and ratchets (and extensions, ujoints, ect) are in that drawer. For me the drawer must be tall enough for deep sockets to stand, and must be the top/first drawer.
For the smaller/narrower drawers I combine like items. Combo wrenches in one and ratcheting wrenches in the drawer next to it.
Move down and all screwdrivers in one and nut drivers and similar shaped next to it. Hammers, punches, chisels in a drawer.

More often used tools toward the top, less used toward the bottom.

With my large amount of hate for the HF socket holders, I have a larger HF chest with an add on side box of drawers. It's been a great box for I'm guessing i've had it for 8 years now.

One of the best things I've learned to keep my box organized is to simply not slam the drawers. They glide smoothly, no need to slap them shut.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
For the love of god, don't do it! Take the blue pill, man, take the blue pill!

I knew a guy who started foaming his boxes and never came down. He's still somewhere in his mom's basement, buried under Snap On toolboxes and foam scraps, surfing garage forums and muttering arcane incanations to the god of toolbox organizers. It's a terrible way to go.