Shop / Tools Tool box organization

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Military, Hill AFB, Boeing, airlines all require foamed tool boxes for 100% tool inventory, google it for the foam, its 1/2" to 3/4" thick and high density and fuel/oil resistant. Cut reliefs to be able to grab the tools.
View attachment 121158

View attachment 121159

I would need 6 more tool boxes if my tools where foam. So much wasted space with the foam.

gatchmo5710

If your tools dont come with its own storage, you bought the wrong tool. Jk jk, but i would get the snap on socket racks. Way better to work with and cost the same... or close.

Attachments

• IMG_0050[1].JPG
    IMG_0050[1].JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0051[1].JPG
    IMG_0051[1].JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0052[1].JPG
    IMG_0052[1].JPG
    393.3 KB · Views: 40

astjp2

If your tools dont come with its own storage, you bought the wrong tool. Jk jk, but i would get the snap on socket racks. Way better to work with and cost the same... or close.
They are OK at best, if you need to go somewhere besides right where your box is, I worked all over a factory, those holders just sucked if you had to pack some tools to go across the plant. I use the metal clip ones from 20 years ago when I travel with my personal tools. I also have most things in milwaukee packouts now. But they do look pretty!

gatchmo5710

Luckily my box rolls around. So when one aircraft is done i just roll it 30 yards to the left.

When i do field maintance i have a pelican case with foam inserts and socket cases.

Attachments

• IMG_0066[1].JPG
    IMG_0066[1].JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 21

Caleb

Or maybe if you had to finance your tools, you bought the wrong tools :p Kidding as well, if my tools were my paycheck, I'd certainly have something like Snap-Ons, Matcos, etc. For now for the relatively limited amount I use my tools, my Husky and Craftsman sets have worked great for the last 10 years. I just need to be able to find what I'm looking for when I need it. :) I do like the idea of foam cutouts and may do that for the pliers, end/combo wrenches, etc but that would take up WAY too much space for sockets...not that it still wouldn't be nice.

lhracing

For sockets I like these. You need to use a taller drawer but you can see it you have everything at a quick glance.

and for wrenches these

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've done about 5 iterations of my current layout. I have all ratchets and sockets in to the top full width drawer. I went with a combo that works well for me. I have most of my sockets on these trays https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Socket-Storage/1000595563. I did them for two reasons, they aren't labeled and you can organize them as you wish. Don't have an 18mm 1/2' drive socket, no problem. You have 10mm -21mm and then you have a 36mm for fuel filters, also no problem, slide the last peg out enough to fit that 36mm socket.
I have one set of Snap on 3/8 drive metric sockets (8-19mm) on a single rail. I use the crap out of that rail and it's nice to just grab it and my go to ratchet and crawl under a car.
Here is a semi recent pic of my top drawer. I have added a couple small dollar store baskets to keep extensions from rolling around. Left is standard, right is metric.
Front is 1/4, middle are 3/8 and back is 1/2 drive.

I put all my metric wrenches and allens in one drawer, standard in a second, screw drivers in one drawer and pliers in another. That's the main go to's.
I used CD wire rack for wrench and screw driver holders. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

Garage journal is a black hole you don't want to go down.

Medsker

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have my sockets in blow molded cases. They come from a drawer set that Craftsman makes (not sure if they still do). My wrenches are20190726_103225.jpg20190726_103239.jpg in a wrench holder. The left is ratchet wrenches and the right is regular wrenches. If you search amazon for wrench organizer they are one of the first ones that comes up. This works well for me. Like glockman I have my pliers, screwdrivers, allen wrenches and hammers in separate drawers.