Tools that you just can't live without

sixstringsteve

Every time I go wrench with a friend, I find a few handy tools they have that make life so much easier. I'm sure there are more out there that I don't know about. I'm not so interested in a particular brand or model as I am about a tool that serves a certain purpose and makes life easier.

The intent of this thread is to focus on the tools that you just can't live without, not necessarily to brag about the cool tools you have (though I'm sure we'll see plenty of that).

sixstringsteve

a few tools I can't live without:

- HF brake line bleeder. I hardly ever hook it up to the air compressor, but it's perfect for collecting the fluid when I bleed brakes
- drill press vice grip clamps. I don't have any of these [yet] but after seeing chocflip's i need some
- HF chisel set. I use these weekly
- ratcheting box-end wrenches with swivel head. So handy
- welder - for SO many reasons. I can't live without a welder.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Doesn't matter. What ever I need at home, I left it at work. I hate having a full set of tools at work and now trying to build up a second set to have at home.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
jar mouth or bottlenose vise grip. Best tool ever
http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-large-jaw-locking-pliers
the-original%E2%84%A2-large-jaw-locking-pliers-283.jpg

Literally the most versatile tool I own.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
while fabricating.....i cant live with out my porta band saw. I love it!

Also, I dont like doing much fabbin anymore without my plasma cutter. Ive been spoiled.

And speaking of spoiled.....One of the best tools out there and one which I dont have is a friggin SHOP!! I used to be fine working on everything in the driveway. But after borrowing a few shops and working in others, I cant live without one anymore. Im trying to decide on building one in the back yard or moving so I can get a place with one

sixstringsteve

while fabricating.....i cant live with out my porta band saw. I love it!

what do you use if for? What I mean is, how is it more useful than an angle grinder for cutting stuff? I've been trying to justify a porta band and the swag table to turn it into an upright band saw but I've struggled to convince myself I'd use it very much as a porta band.

sixstringsteve

Nothing exciting, just a few vise grip stuff things. I've yet to find a knock-off that is even close to 1/2 as good as vice-grip brand.

Vise-Grip 10LW Locking Wrench with Wire Cutter

2 x Vise-Grip 12LC 12-Inch Vise-Grip Large Jaw Locking Pliers

Stanley 85-610 10-Inch Long MaxGrip Locking Adjustable Wrench

Vise-Grip 4LW Locking Wrench with Wire Cutter

Vise-Grip 7LW Locking Wrench With Wire Cutter

I can't afford the porta-band or swag table yet. Those will have to wait.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

another tool I can't live without:

Magnetic parts bowl. I'm very disorganized, and these really help. Also, while not exactly a tool, I can't live without the metric nut and bolt kit from Autozone. I use that thing almost daily, along with my bucket of bolts, washers, and nuts.

I also use my 20-T press a lot more than I thought I would when I bought it. It has paid for itself many times over.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
a couple of framing squares and other sized squares
silver sharpies
accurate measuring scale
Tunes
Eye and Ear protection
Good company