Trip Report Top of the World 8/3/19

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I was in town with family for my b-day trip, and among activities, I rented a couple of Jeeps from Cliffhanger for 3 days. Top of the World has always been one of my favorite trails, but I hadn't been up there since 2012. The trail was much more difficult then in the times I went up there in my KJ, and my 4Runner.
We got to the bridge a bit later than I wanted to, and these Jeeps needed to be back in town by 5pm to avoid being charged another day ($300 per day, per Jeep). I told family that we have to turn back at X time to make it back to MOAB by 5pm not matter if we make it to the top or not.

We had fun along the way, I let my Godson drive a bit, he never driven a 4x4, and he put on a clinic for some rock-stacking Californians who let us pass. We passed a cluster of Land Cruisers along the way from MO that waved on to go ahead. We got to the top, there were a bunch of nice folks from TX in their well-appointed JKs. They left on the return loop a few minutes after, and we took all the pics you're supposed to take up there, had some PB&J, and with 10 mins ahead of schedule, we went down the return loop.

About 100 yrds down the loop, I see a Land Cruiser coming the wrong way. Lame. It was one of the MO guys we passed on the way up. The guy informed me that the rest of his group is behind him. I thanked him, and proceeded down the trail. Soon after, we come upon the Texans stopped on the trail. Looking at my watch, I said, "this will not do... oh no it will not". I get out, and there I see one of the MO Land Cruisers hopelessly wedged (across the trail of course), and spinning his tires. The driver was not listening to the spotter, the whole group was pretending that the Texans weren't there asking to help pull him out with his winch. After this went on for a bit, we all decided to turn around and go the other way. We did out 25 point turns, and headed out.

When we got the the outcrop, the first MO guy put his arms up in a WTF? fashion. I said, "Your man is stuck down there, you better go and get 'em". Then I proceeded down the trail to be the bearer of the news to people coming up that the return loop is blocked so everyone is coming down this way.

I tried to figure out who these people were, and then I found their post requesting assistance on ih8mud in the Cruiser section. Apparently, they broke some parts trying to get out. So all the prideful spinning of tires rather than taking a strap from a Jeep lead to ruining the trip for everyone in the group. I don't get it.

The main thing was, I still made it back into town on time and wasn't charged another $600

Last edited:

The_Lobbster

Not that I care, but isn't TOTW on the list of trails not allowed with the cliffhanger jeeps? I was just there a month ago and rented a 4 door, and was told it was on the "not allowed list".

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Not that I care, but isn't TOTW on the list of trails not allowed with the cliffhanger jeeps? I was just there a month ago and rented a 4 door, and was told it was on the "not allowed list".
Funny that, when I rented last year, I asked them if TOTW was allowed and they said, "yes". Eleven months later, I didn't even think to ask. When we returned them, we saw it on the list in the office and was like, "oops". On their website, TOTW is listed under moderate trails, so they should do a better job of communicating any changes. I think they're a great business otherwise, I've rented from them a bunch of times.