Trip Report Toquerville Falls via Nephi's Twist

smfulle

On Thanksgiving morning we took a little ride to Toquervill Falls near Toquerville/Hurricane Utah. The usual route into the falls from the highway is fairly tame, but the trail in from the backside is a little more challenging.

My brother lives in Toquerville and his backyard borders on LaVerkin Creek which is the creek that the falls are on so we started this ride out on the exclusive and private trailhead of my brother's backyard. It was kind of a motley crew that participated in this ride. My brother and his young son on a larger ATV, an nephew on a small 2wd ATV, a nephew on some sort of Yamaha motorcycle that was neither a dirt bike or a road bike, and me in my 48 Willys CJ2A, Grampa's Jeep, carrying another brother, his wife, and a niece.

After the backyard exit and crossing the creek we hooked up with a trail called Nephi's Twist. We used this trail to get around some private property along the creek before we dropped back down into the creek bottom and the push up to the falls.

I think I would call this trail more of a SxS trail than a jeep trail. Lots of bushes push in on the trail and the steam crossings are many times steep and rocky, and there are lots of them.

I took my mom across the creek later to get a picture of the Nephi's Twist sign that I forgot to snap during the actual ride.

20171125_161514.jpg

Here's a little video of where we started out in the backyard. Notice the large table set up on the back patio in anticipation of our Thanksgiving feast upon our return.

[video=youtube_share;K0m05Q6-eM8]

This was a fun and challenging ride. I probably wouldn't take a large modern jeep on it, especially if it had shiny paint.

Here's the condensed video of the ride. Some of it is in 4X speed to get the watch time down.

[video=youtube_share;0FS4yyAmqUo]

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thanks for sharing, Stan! Looks like a great way to spend Thanksgiving! Loved the part at 5:15 where you found the deep hole in the creek and lifted tires getting out! :rofl:

smfulle

Thanks for sharing, Stan! Looks like a great way to spend Thanksgiving! Loved the part at 5:15 where you found the deep hole in the creek and lifted tires getting out! :rofl:

Thanks! Probably should have backed out of that hole and went around. I'm kind of in a bad habit of powering through. Lucky for me it's hard for 60hp to get me in too much trouble very fast.
Can't wait to see your flat fender on the trail.

Awesome report! I really want to go see the falls and that slot canyon now.

It's not really a slot canyon, more like a slot ditch, but really cool non the less.

I love watching your videos. Thanks

Thanks. I like sharing them.

trail riding in a stockish Willys jeep is the greatest thing there is.

Well, I might be able to think of a couple of things that are greater, but riding in Grampa's Jeep is among the funnest things I've ever done.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I have done this feom the falls out to the LaVerkin Gun range. Very fun and enjoyable. Need to do it again. Wish I wasn't out of town and we could have joined you. On leaving town my daughter mentioned and remebered you were coming down.

smfulle

I have done this feom the falls out to the LaVerkin Gun range. Very fun and enjoyable. Need to do it again. Wish I wasn't out of town and we could have joined you. On leaving town my daughter mentioned and remebered you were coming down.

Nice of your kids to remember me. It was fun giving them a little ride in my flattie.

Last edited:

Toad

My wife and I rode the 4 wheelers to these falls several years ago. The main road in from the highway. We stopped at the falls and played around. We then rode across the falls and followed the creek for a bit. The trail just kind of dies out. We meet a group of rigs that were driving the creek bed up to the falls. They said it was a couple hours down to the road. I assume taking the creek bed up to the falls is not a legitimate trail? We turned and took the main road back to the trail.

Bart

Love the video and that looks like an awesome trip with the family on Thanksgiving. Thanks for sharing.

Geepen

I been wanting to do this trail could you tell me where the trail head is? the public one not your backyard. thanks