Tow Rig Tire Options

kirk86CJ

I need to replace the tires on a '03 dodge 4x4 diesel. 17" Rims. Tires on it have 50K and still aren't worn out (close) - Michelin LTX 265's (stock) These are "E" rated tires and they have obviously lasted a long time.
I would like to get some 285's, but the tire shops say there aren't any E rated 285's for a 17" rim. They try to talk me into D rated tires.

The truck will be used 70/30 comuting/pulling. I do have a fifth wheel trailer, so there will be weight. Mostly interested in tread life (don't need something real aggresive)

I have heard that heavy loads will wear out these non E rated tires quickly.

Does anyone know of a bigger tire that would last as long as these Michelins have?

Thanks
Kirk

Houndoc

Towing does not put a real heavy load on the tires of the tow vehicle- just look at tongue weight on trailer data will show you that. ( 5000 pound trailer will usually be a less than 500 tongue weight) In that regard, my personal guess is that a D rated tire would still wear just fine and you will get a slight ride inprovement as well.

Bigger questions is do you hual heavy loads in the truck? If so, then stick with the E rated. And i would be very surprised that a 285 E is not out there, seeing how many 265 and even 245 on a 16 inch rim are E rated (too heavy for the SUVs many go on).

Caleb

Well, there really aren't many (if any) E rated 285s...the best you could do would be step up to a 235/80 and its only about a half inch bigger than what you have now. Goodyear makes an E rated tire. If you stepped up to an 18" rim there are a few other options from Goodyear.

With that said I personally dont htink an E rated tire is necessary. I think a D rated would be completely sufficient for towing duties. Unless you are hauling a huge load IN you truck (like a slide-in camper along with towing) then you prolly wont even be near what the tire is rated for (even with a D rated tire) and since you have a goose neck hitch you surely wont have a camper in your bed :D

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
If I'm reading this correctly, he's towing a fifth wheel which means there's a load in the bed. If it's a travel trailer type, there's a huge load in the bed. I would stick with the E's for sure in that case. Also, the taller tire you go, the more sidewall flex you'll get (fishtail effect). I tow with D rated 35's, and at times it can be a handfull. You probably wont notice it just going up a size, but it's still something to consider. If you're going taller just for looks, I wouldn't do it, just not worth it. Also, with the price of fuel, the taller tire is going to drop your mileage. I know if I had it to do again, my tires would be (and will be) smaller.

Supergper said:
Well, there really aren't many (if any) E rated 285s...the best you could do would be step up to a 235/80 and its only about a half inch bigger than what you have now. Goodyear makes an E rated tire. If you stepped up to an 18" rim there are a few other options from Goodyear.

With that said I personally dont htink an E rated tire is necessary. I think a D rated would be completely sufficient for towing duties. Unless you are hauling a huge load IN you truck (like a slide-in camper along with towing) then you prolly wont even be near what the tire is rated for (even with a D rated tire) and since you have a goose neck hitch you surely wont have a camper in your bed :D

Caleb

BCGPER said:
If I'm reading this correctly, he's towing a fifth wheel which means there's a load in the bed. If it's a travel trailer type, there's a huge load in the bed. I would stick with the E's for sure in that case. Also, the taller tire you go, the more sidewall flex you'll get (fishtail effect). I tow with D rated 35's, and at times it can be a handfull. You probably wont notice it just going up a size, but it's still something to consider. If you're going taller just for looks, I wouldn't do it, just not worth it. Also, with the price of fuel, the taller tire is going to drop your mileage. I know if I had it to do again, my tires would be (and will be) smaller.

its not a travel trailer type, its just a flat bed (A home built one, I think there is a thread on it on here). I dont disagree that an E is going to be better off then a D all I'm saying is he wont be over the rated weight of a D, if he is with just a flat bed trailer then he should prolly re-arrange some things :D

kirk86CJ

Supergper said:
its not a travel trailer type, its just a flat bed (A home built one, I think there is a thread on it on here). I dont disagree that an E is going to be better off then a D all I'm saying is he wont be over the rated weight of a D, if he is with just a flat bed trailer then he should prolly re-arrange some things :D

I actually do have a 5th wheel travel trailer also. Right now I have a '94 Chev 3500 SRW crew cab. My 5th wheel seems to squat my truck quite a bit now (with E rated tires at 75 lbs) I will soon be getting the dodge. I just don't think I get get a D rated tire that will wear as good.