tow rig tranny Qs

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Alright, I lost my tranny AGAIN this weekend in my tow rig. 1994 GMC 2500 with 350/4L60E. This trans was brand new (rebuilt) 18 thousand miles ago. It also got a heavy duty trans cooler in the process.
I only drive the truck when I am towing something, therefore it does see pretty hard use. I'm thinking of swapping in a standard tranny.

Here's my question: what trans/t-case combo would work well, have 5 gears, and stand up to a possibly built 383 in the future? I'm tired of dealing with this auto crap.
Also, what is going to be involved in making clutch pedals, master cylinders and all that jazz work with an auto truck?
I'm seriously considering a solid axle swap for the front end, so the centered t-case output wouldn't be an issue.

TIA, Cory

hoopte cj

when you had your trans rebuilt did you have a temp gauge putin? I've been told that heat kills auto's. whan I had mine rebuilt I had a gauge, and a deep pan put on and also ran syn fluid. 18000 out of a 4l60 is'nt a lot of miles even towing.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Doesn't answer your questions, but I've got an ugly Chevy with a newly-rebuilt 700R4 that would drop right into your truck, if you want to just try a different tranny.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I Lean said:
Doesn't answer your questions, but I've got an ugly Chevy with a newly-rebuilt 700R4 that would drop right into your truck, if you want to just try a different tranny.
Put that in, sell your truck, and get a CTD. Just do it. You will be happier. How much do you think it will cost to swap to a manual? Sounds like a nice down payment to me :hickey:

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
hoopte cj said:
when you had your trans rebuilt did you have a temp gauge putin? I've been told that heat kills auto's. whan I had mine rebuilt I had a gauge, and a deep pan put on and also ran syn fluid. 18000 out of a 4l60 is'nt a lot of miles even towing.

I didn't get a guage, but the cooler they went with is one of the biggest ones they have. I'm going to take it to them today and see what they'll do. 6-7 months ago, I had a problem with the trans cooler lines leaking, so I took it to them to fix. They inspected the entire trans at that time and said it looked perfect. This was only 2000 miles ago.

R

rockdog

trans

Cory, I faced this same problem about a year ago. Had an 88 chev w/tb350 700r trans. It was ready for it's third rebuild since i had owned it. It was paid for. Didn't want a truck payment either. But a rebuild on a trans ain't cheap. So i bit the bullet and got a power stroke. Best move i've ever made, i love it! If you really want to go five speed, think about the cost.It would make more sense to sell you're truck and look for a used one w/a five speed already in it.Plus way less headaches.

Just my .02cents Been there done that ,it sucks
Phil

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
If all you do is tow with the truck, you do not need a five speed. Think about it, you rarely if ever should use the OD when towing anyway. For years everyones tow rig had a good old granny low four speed. They did just fine. Gas prices are a lot higher now, but you will never save the gas money that a NV4500 swap will cost if you are going to be using your truck for mostly towing. OD while towing really wont be worth a whole lot of MPG if any. A 465 NP205 and a solid 44 will cost hundreds less than just a NV4500.

Coreshot said:
Alright, I lost my tranny AGAIN this weekend in my tow rig. 1994 GMC 2500 with 350/4L60E. This trans was brand new (rebuilt) 18 thousand miles ago. It also got a heavy duty trans cooler in the process.
I only drive the truck when I am towing something, therefore it does see pretty hard use. I'm thinking of swapping in a standard tranny.

Here's my question: what trans/t-case combo would work well, have 5 gears, and stand up to a possibly built 383 in the future? I'm tired of dealing with this auto crap.
Also, what is going to be involved in making clutch pedals, master cylinders and all that jazz work with an auto truck?
I'm seriously considering a solid axle swap for the front end, so the centered t-case output wouldn't be an issue.

TIA, Cory

TH400/241 from another truck like yours, early 2500's before the 4L80. Bummer on the repeated failures, that can get frustrating and expensive. What are you towing? The rig you have ought to be good up to 6000 lbs, less any service factor that you might want.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
bobdog said:
If all you do is tow with the truck, you do not need a five speed. Think about it, you rarely if ever should use the OD when towing anyway.

That's a good point. I never use OD when towing, and the only time I use the truck not towing is when I go to the cabin, or go fishing. Even then, I'm lucky to stretch the mileage to 10 MPG.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Maverick said:
What are you towing? The rig you have ought to be good up to 6000 lbs, less any service factor that you might want.

I'm either towing my crawler hauler with the crawler, or 5 ATVs, or my 19 foot ski boat. I'm sure that the heaviest is the Toy with the trailer, probably approaching 6000 lbs.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
James K said:
what about finding a wreck donor truck?

it is always cheaper to buy the whole truck for parts then just the parts.

That's prolly what I'll do once I decide what I'm gonna go with. I just hate to have to buy a new truck when this is a great running (well, mostly :D ), and looking truck. Even if I bought a new one, I would still have to fix this one, because I'm not gonna give it away.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Coreshot said:
That's prolly what I'll do once I decide what I'm gonna go with. I just hate to have to buy a new truck when this is a great running (well, mostly :D ), and looking truck. Even if I bought a new one, I would still have to fix this one, because I'm not gonna give it away.

and if you buy a whole truck might as well look for a nv4500.

try salt lake corvette. he gets lots of wrecked gm products.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
Well, it looks as if I'm going to have another tranny installed. Freeway is doing what they can to treat me right. I had 22600 miles on this one, the warranty expired at 18000. They are going as heavy duty as they can on this one, and cutting me a pretty good deal, and putting an extra long warranty on it. We'll see... :)

Caleb

Coreshot said:
Well, it looks as if I'm going to have another tranny installed. Freeway is doing what they can to treat me right. I had 22600 miles on this one, the warranty expired at 18000. They are going as heavy duty as they can on this one, and cutting me a pretty good deal, and putting an extra long warranty on it. We'll see... :)

that good they are treating you right atleast...I have heard Freeway does really good work...