tow rig WAY down on power after engine rebuild

Caleb

RockMonkey said:
When I replaced a cat a few months ago I looked all over for Hickey's fabled $50 vatozone cat. I doesn't exist. Cheapest thing I could find was through Beach. Right around a hundred bucks, I think.

you can get a universal from Summit Racing for between $50-$100 (depending on exact measurements and size) page

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Good to know. Summit ships FAST too! FYI the Checker, Autozone, etc, cats were all ridiculously expensive. Like 300 bucks. Even the other Master Muffler wanted 200. :rolleyes:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
RockMonkey said:
Good to know. Summit ships FAST too! FYI the Checker, Autozone, etc, cats were all ridiculously expensive. Like 300 bucks. Even the other Master Muffler wanted 200. :rolleyes:
You got to ask the right Vato ;)

chevtech

Seasoned Mall Cruiser
Maverick said:
HAHAHAHa

well it's all a moot point. Beach checked them this morning, measured out ok at 3.5. Back to the drawing board. What the hell else?????

Oh, doesn't change a thing: I Lean is next after Milner :D

You did replace your fuel filter when replacing the pump right????

Greg said:
I'd do a compression test, & possibly a leakdown test if you have the access to the tools.

yep, planned for tomorrow morning.

Seemed to have a bit more git this morning when it was cool, lost it as it warmed up. Didn't time it (0-60) so I can't be certain.

Edit on 7-6:
0-60 this morning was 13.1 sec, slight uphill.
0-60 on flat freeway, engine warm: 14.6 sec.

Last edited:
mbryson said:
Have you done a compression check and all that good stuff?

Ok, today we did comp test and vacuum test, also drove with the scanner hooked up.

Comp: 145 per hole :)
Vacuum: 15 at idle, up to 17 at WOT :)

Scanner read 26 deg advance at idle and at high rpm, no load. Under load at higher rpm (WOT) it read 16 deg advance :eek: ...and this seems really strange. We're trying to get another vortec 454 to run the scanner on.

This is like the first clue, the first thing that hasn't checked out to be in spec.

Brett

drylok

Maverick said:
Ok, today we did comp test and vacuum test, also drove with the scanner hooked up.

Scanner read 26 deg advance at idle and at high rpm, no load. Under load at higher rpm (WOT) it read 16 deg advance :eek: ...and this seems really strange. We're trying to get another vortec 454 to run the scanner on.

Brett
Your timing numbers look suspicious. I am not sure about computer controlled engines, but you should probably be around 8-10 degrees at idle and 25-30 degrees at around 3000 rpm.

harkinoff

something to do...
drylok said:
Your timing numbers look suspicious. I am not sure about computer controlled engines, but you should probably be around 8-10 degrees at idle and 25-30 degrees at around 3000 rpm.

It does sound like a timing issue.... they usually ping through the exhaust when timing is too hot... is it a steady ping and only under a load "excellerating"?

Caleb

drylok said:

I dont know about Vortecs but this is about right for TBIs...