Tow strap Repair?

RedeyeRacing

I know the safe answer is throw it away and buy another, but I snapped the loop on a brand new Teraflex Tow strap yesterday. Before I throw it in the garbage I thought I would ask, has anyone ever had one re-sewn? It was brand new before it snapped (long story and minimal damage :)) and I wondered if there is a shop that would just double it up and sew it. Let me know if anyone has heard of this.

Thanks,

Nate

sixstringsteve

honestly, with something that inexpensive, and the potentially fatal consequences with a poorly repaired one, I'd toss it and get a new one.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
honestly, with something that inexpensive, and the potentially fatal consequences with a poorly repaired one, I'd toss it and get a new one.
I look at it like welding, do you believe the factory does something you cannot? Most the time when I have broken a strap it has not been on the sewn part. Usually it has been about six inches from where the sewing stops. I wouldn't sew one in the middle of a strap but on the end where it is doubled over I don't see it being the weak link. I might relegate it to secondary but I wouldn't toss it.

sixstringsteve

I look at it like welding, do you believe the factory does something you cannot?

Before I knew how to weld, yes: the factory could do something I could not. Plenty of people think they can weld as well as the factory and put others in danger.
I could be totally wrong, but I'm guessing the OP doesn't know how to build tow straps (nor do I), hence the factory does something he cannot.

I've seen too many sketchy recovery situations with potentially lethal consequences if something went wrong. A new strap is $20-30. Think about how much we spend on our vehicles, tires, springs, lifts, etc. We shouldn't have to think twice about spending another $30 for safety. I'd hang onto it and find a use for it, but I would not use it in a recovery with any load on it. If I'm helping recover a guy and he pulls out a strap that's been "repaired" after it's been broken, we're either using my strap, or he's got to find someone else to put their life in danger.

Rock Taco

Just tie a knot in you'll be good to go! :rofl:

Depending how and where it is broken I'm sure it can be repaired with the right materials and techniques. How ever that is not something I would do myself without the knowledge and equipment to properly doing some strength testing on my repairs so I know that my repairs hold up.

I know this company makes their own slings and they have the ability to test their own products. (I've seen some of their tests to failure first hand. Its cool to watch) http://rigging.carpenterrigging.com/viewitems/synthetic-slings/eye-eye-nylon-slings?

However its probably not worth the cost to have one repaired as cheap as they are.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I look at it like welding, do you believe the factory does something you cannot? Most the time when I have broken a strap it has not been on the sewn part. Usually it has been about six inches from where the sewing stops. I wouldn't sew one in the middle of a strap but on the end where it is doubled over I don't see it being the weak link. I might relegate it to secondary but I wouldn't toss it.

Your assuming the place it broke was in fact the only place it yielded. Take your metal comparison, a microscopic crack can develop in many place only to completely fail in one. You weld the one you see but the rest are just a time bomb. Strap fibers would be no different imo and just because a strap has a loop on each end, doesn't mean it is still rated for its designed and original load capacity, hence why actual rigging equipment has to be tested, stamped and retested or discarded from service. Some recovery strap manufactures actually use methods to let you know your strap has been damaged or pulled beyond its intended working load, red fibers or a strip that will appear when stretch occurs. This may or may not have anything to do with the situation in this thread but it's worth considering if/when repairing. I'm with Steve, when you have a rig hanging off the edge of a cliff, I don't want to be second guessing if there was only one spot that yielded. :D

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
So just a question, do you only use a strap when you are hanging off the edge of a cliff? Is there any possibility that a strap that no longer meets the 30k lbs rating could be useful?

I have a hard core rig that would love your straps that no longer meet standard. It is sporting massive 205/55/16 tires, diesel powered (45mpg!), topping the scale a little under 3k lbs and manages to see harsh terrain like Redwood road in February. I would love your used recovery strap. I don't see more than a 6" curb and probably would take Rock Taco's suggestion of a knot if it fails while still needed.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So just a question, do you only use a strap when you are hanging off the edge of a cliff? Is there any possibility that a strap that no longer meets the 30k lbs rating could be useful?

Sure, yard work? I have a beat up one that gets used to drag pallets with the forklift. If it breaks nobody gets hurt and nothing gets damages. I don't make a practice of carrying questionable gear in my rigs, too much to lose. If I'm going to bring one strap, it's going to be one I trust. If I'm going to bring two straps, I'd want to trust them both. To me it would be like bringing an axle with twisted splines as a spare ;) With a quality strap and proper use, you shouldn't be dealing with many failures.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I guess I'm just trying to say it still has a place. I would toss it in the wife's car just in case she slides off the road, keep it around for a task where you don't want to use your good ones. I wouldn't toss it out. Any strap is better than no strap if you need one.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I guess I'm just trying to say it still has a place. I would toss it in the wife's car just in case she slides off the road, keep it around for a task where you don't want to use your good ones. I wouldn't toss it out. Any strap is better than no strap if you need one.

I hear ya', I just wouldn't go through the effort of sewing a strap that has been compromised regardless of what it might get used for.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I wrap frayed parts with duck or gorilla tape and take broken ends to a tent or tarp shop and have it resewn. Towed another scout out of Hole in the Wall canyon at Death Valley and still using the strap.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I wrap frayed parts with duck or gorilla tape and take broken ends to a tent or tarp shop and have it resewn. Towed another scout out of Hole in the Wall canyon at Death Valley and still using the strap.

They don't make straps like they used to in the 60's Jack, you can't repair modern 4x4 stuff with shoe-glue anymore :D