Towing a car hauler (Jeep) with a slide-in camper

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You could do a trailer jack like Hickey did on his jeep dolly. That thing is removable and super cool.

My OUT adventure trailer was built with a removable, pivoting jack as well... it was setup where I'd just stow it horizontally when towing, for more ground clearance. It worked, but had a little play at the pivot. I could put two of them at the front corners of the trailer... stow them horizontally or remove them when not being used.

20181222_171144-jpg.117145

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’ve had a HF folding boat jack (it has wheels) on my car hauler for a solid decade. Risking a tailgate has never been an option for me…

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't think the trailer jack is the issue, it's the rear corner camper jack. At least, that's how it is on my setup.

Asbjorn

I don't think the trailer jack is the issue, it's the rear corner camper jack. At least, that's how it is on my setup.

This.

Also, having just gone through this with a 03-09 Dodge, a SRW will have a payload of ~2800 pounds. Keep that in mind when you’re shopping for campers and don’t forget to factor in trailer tongue weight. You might be able to find a camper with a shower and toilet that’s light enough to not put you over. I tried, but as you know, I ended up with a dually.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I have run this set up for the last year. It has been to Farmington NM, Rangely CO and the XJ on a flatbed with the camper to Mason TX and back. I installed the heavy-duty hitch with extension and a equalizer hitch. With chains and turn buckles. It works quite well. I did hit my enclosed trailer once with the camper in a jack knife reverse. Just have to be more careful. I just wish I had a dually set up is the only thing I'd change. 

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1673365706733.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673365706733.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 52
  • FB_IMG_1673365693552.jpg
    FB_IMG_1673365693552.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 51

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
This.

Also, having just gone through this with a 03-09 Dodge, a SRW will have a payload of ~2800 pounds. Keep that in mind when you’re shopping for campers and don’t forget to factor in trailer tongue weight. You might be able to find a camper with a shower and toilet that’s light enough to not put you over. I tried, but as you know, I ended up with a dually.

FWIW that northstar is about 1700 lbs, only got rid of mine for a self contained unit. Allegedly the self contained version is 1785 lbs with no options. Well insulated and built, North south bed which is my favorite

Asbjorn

FWIW that northstar is about 1700 lbs, only got rid of mine for a self contained unit. Allegedly the self contained version is 1785 lbs with no options. Well insulated and built, North south bed which is my favorite
Thanks, this one had a toilet but no shower. I sold it before I acquired my Dodge, which it would have been light enough for. We’re more interested in a hard sided unit with luxuries now, so that pretty much put anything we wanted over the payload of our previous 2005 Dodge 3500.

Greg

Admin
This.

I replied too quickly without letting your previous post register, it wasn't until @I Lean pointed it out again that it registered. Sorry, sometimes I reply without fully understanding what's been said. I was thinking about the trailer jack and that stuck in my mind. Again, I'm new to all this and trying to figure it out.

I do remember the issues you had and why you upgraded to a dually. I really don't want a dually and am trying to keep to lighter weight slide-in campers. The ones I'm looking at weigh around 1,800#'s, add 500# (max) tongue weight and I think I'll be within payload with some room for a generator, water, etc.

Greg

Admin
I have run this set up for the last year. It has been to Farmington NM, Rangely CO and the XJ on a flatbed with the camper to Mason TX and back. I installed the heavy-duty hitch with extension and a equalizer hitch. With chains and turn buckles. It works quite well. I did hit my enclosed trailer once with the camper in a jack knife reverse. Just have to be more careful. I just wish I had a dually set up is the only thing I'd change. 

Good to know, that's quite a load! I was hoping you'd post up, knowing that was your setup. Thanks Kevin!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
A lot of people are talking about this Ram that bent the frame about in half not long ago. In this video the guy downplays the gross payload number and focuses on center of gravity. My thought is that the manufacturers list several numbers that all need to be adhered to. Front axle weight, rear axle weight, gvw, gcvw all need to be kept in spec. Even just a 2000 pound camper can be too much when you add 1000 of tongue weight from a trailer. Exceed any one of those weights and you risk damage and loss of warranty if something does happen. Just a thought.

Greg

Admin
A lot of people are talking about this Ram that bent the frame about in half not long ago. In this video the guy downplays the gross payload number and focuses on center of gravity. My thought is that the manufacturers list several numbers that all need to be adhered to. Front axle weight, rear axle weight, gvw, gcvw all need to be kept in spec. Even just a 2000 pound camper can be too much when you add 1000 of tongue weight from a trailer. Exceed any one of those weights and you risk damage and loss of warranty if something does happen. Just a thought.

I've seen that truck and frame issue, thought it was interesting for sure. Like I just said in the previous post, I'm looking at a light-weight pop-up camper and decently light towing combo with lower tongue weight. I should be well under GVW and rated load capacity.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
No problem Greg. It is a big load and takes a min to get up to speed in the old 7.3 but as long as it is flat it keeps 65-75 nicely. Hopefully my truck doesn't fold in half one day. 🙏

When I went to work out of state in 2018 I upgraded from my beloved Lance Squirelite to an Arctic Fox 990.
I’d been against extensions and always wanted to stay with a shorter camper up until then (love having a slide-in camper though!)

I looked at the Torklift extensions, and while they’re beef and proven they also seem to be made with unobtainium.
I already had an aftermarket rear bumper with d-rings. So I bought a Curt 2.5” hitch to mount below the factory hitch. A 2’ extension and some McMasterCarr turnbuckles finished off my extension. All in around $450.
B7D3DB3D-1DFC-4A7D-AC4F-DC29C6D46939.jpeg
F651AB5E-CBF8-44E6-BE01-A7429717FDE0.jpeg

When I went out for work the first time I had the camper and my enclosed trailer with my Jeep and toolbox (weighs more than my Jeep!).
I wasn’t worried about the extension at all, my rear tires though…. Eeek, I was worried!
I’ve wanted to dually swap for a long time… but I put thousands of miles on this setup without issue, and I’m no longer working out of state and sold the enclosed… now it’s just the Jeep on the flatbed.
63E1290A-D7B1-4602-90C0-986A95FCBD54.jpeg
C325F094-CD5A-40CE-B160-9A9B5E09397D.jpeg

Long reply but my point is the hitch extension isn’t bad at all, and can be done on a budget.

Pile of parts

I have a very similar setup. Mine is the 992 camper. I haven't been across the scales, but I did go with "F" rated tires. The configuration of my truck has a 4330 lb payload. Id guess, fully loaded + tounge weight puts me slightly over. You can probably find what you're looking for in a non-slideout camper but i do think you'll want to look at 1 ton trucks, especially in those earlier year trucks. I'll post pictures of my hitch configuation later.20220626_091053.jpg