Towing a car hauler (Jeep) with a slide-in camper

Corban_White

It is definitely a cost effective option to rent vs buy. But it is much more convenient to own the rig. I've gone back and forth over the years, especially as our needs/uses have changed.

Pile of parts

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Should be picking up the new camper later this week, or next week. This is a 9-6 model, but it has a large porch (rear bumper) and it will require a hitch extension to tow the jeep. According to Northern Lite, I will need a 38" extension. My F350 currently has a Reese Titan Class V hitch, but I may go with a new hitch to ensure a secure connection with an extension. Looks like the Torklift Superhitch is the best in the market. Definitely want to make sure we have a safe way to trailer the jeep

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Took longer than I wanted and I made some concessions with options... but I picked up a slide-in popup camper finally. I almost pulled the trigger on a Hallmark last week, but after having the owner measure everything and it looking good, it wouldn't work with the bed of my truck. It was a longbed camper with a wet bath (toilet & shower).

I ended up with a 2016 Palomino Backpack SS550 for a shortbed... this way I won't need a hitch extension and I know the jacks won't hit the trailer when towing. It (mostly) works with the flatbed on the Dodge, the jacks block some of the boxes unfortunately. The Dodge sits tall and the Pronghorn flatbed floor is very tall, so the camper sits way high... glad it's not a hard sided camper! This camper doesn't have a toilet or inside shower, does have an outside shower. Also has a small 15 gallon fresh water tank. No A/C, but it's prewired for it. It's very light at 1600#'s and will work in the wife's F150 and any future trucks we may end up with. It was cheap enough that we can try out slide-in camper life and see if we want something bigger, heavier and with more options. (Don't mind the ratchet straps, they're temporary to get it home.... need to come up with a proper, solid way to tie it down.) It's 9' 6" (ish) tall collapsed and 11' opened up.

i-WWD6WqP-X2.jpg

i-jxS2qT3-X2.jpg
i-BpsrBdk-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
They make quick attach mounts for the jacks, so If you end up keeping the flatbed, it might be worth adding those to keep access to the boxes.

That's what I've been looking for, seems like a better option. Probably won't take long with an impact and wrench either. 🤷‍♂️

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I ordered a CM skirted flatbed for my F350 to go with the Northern Lite, will be here in a few weeks. There are stake pocket brackets that you can use for tie downs as well. The flat bed definitely gives more storage options

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Flatbed with the camper is the way to go. One of the reasons I got rid of mine beside not fitting in my bed #becauseford, was lack of storage. After I bought it and started trying to organize and I realized I really had no room for recovery gear, tools etc etc without just storing on the floor inside the camper. Having an extended cab didn’t really leave room in truck either. When the time comes I’ll be getting a flatbed with storage boxes where the bedsides would be and think it will make an unbeatable exploration rig.

Greg

Admin
looks like there is plenty of room under the slide-in and above the boxes to add more storage or at least some structure to make sure that thing doesn't wobble up there. Maybe that's not an issue but certainly something I'd be concerned about.

It's perfectly solid actually, the camper is tight against its bumpers and sits tight to the headache rack and there's not much room side to side either.

Flatbed with the camper is the way to go. One of the reasons I got rid of mine beside not fitting in my bed #becauseford, was lack of storage. After I bought it and started trying to organize and I realized I really had no room for recovery gear, tools etc etc without just storing on the floor inside the camper. Having an extended cab didn’t really leave room in truck either. When the time comes I’ll be getting a flatbed with storage boxes where the bedsides would be and think it will make an unbeatable exploration rig.

It seems to be a nice setup so far, I'm going to pull the camper jacks and have full access to the boxes.

Greg

Admin
Interior pics @STAG asked for... it's not too roomy, but just enough for two people.

i-ZrdtTjR-X2.jpg

i-PFST8jd-X2.jpg

i-Pw3WvKp-X2.jpg

Also figured out mounts for the ratchet straps (for now) using a couple 2x2 stake pockets at the end of the bed and removed the jacks for full box access.

Removing the jack took all of 3 min with a 3/8" DeWalt impact, so I guess they are quick disconnect? 😁 Looks cleaner, hopefully I don't need them for this upcoming trip!

The trucks suspension allows it to rock a little if I move around in the bed, but I don't see it being an issue.

i-bztgMnS-X2.jpg

i-gXKNsQx-X2.jpg

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
Your straps are pretty angled. Thats going to allow a little rocking of the camper. If you went straight down it would hold a bit better.. but like you said, probably not an big deal.