Toy Draglink

rustforlife

I am looking to build a drop draglink for my 85 toy (can't afford X-over). All the mass produced dropped draglinks I have found (AOR/Superlift/NWOR) appear to be identical. They all use the same inferior ends (compared to the stock toyota's). Has anyone constructed one themselves? I can't decide whether to cut/weld/brace a stock arm or have some DOM tubing bent into shape and then weld the stock ends onto it (the tubing would have the same inner diameter as the outside diameter of the stocker). Any thoughts?

rustforlife

Also, does anyone know how wide Isuzu trooper leaf springs are and how much arch they have (height when both ends are put on the ground)? They look like they would work well for building a custom (and cheap) toyota spring pack.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
well with the toy draglinks. I have seen it done different ways. I have seen home built out of pipe/dom and I have seen aftermarket ones gusseted on both sides of the bend with 1/4 plate. The problem in aftermarket isn't in the ends it's the tubing cant take severe twist. It will kink and break. so you triangulate the top and bottom and it is strong.
Isuzu trooper 2 rear springs bolt directly into the rear of a first gen toy. Get about 3 inches of lift and some flex.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
Here is this...Spring specifications .... I really want someone to try rear wagonner springs to see if they are as good as said. They are a little longer than stock but flex fairly well. Most run a block with em. I think about 3 inches without the block though. feel free to pick my brain. I know alot on toy suspention.

Too Far

parts is parts
isuzu springs are 2.25" wide. They are almost identicle to '79-83 rear toy springs. I ran trooper springs in the front of my '80 toy. It moved the axle up 1.5" , I acctually redrilled the spring pads to place the axle in the stock location for the stock steering. It gave me about 3" of lift on the '80. It would be more like 5" on a '84-85 toy. They are longer than the stock toy front springs as well. I used longer shackles to keep the springs from hitting the frame.
I now run trooper springs front and rear on my SAS trooper. They seem to be woring very well. There are a few troopers in the pick and pull lot so they are cheap and easy to get a hold of as well.