Toyota toyota 3.0 v6 head gasket recall

krany

kranberry
iam looking at a 1990 4runner with a blown head gasket and herd there was a recall on them, where during a certain years they replaced the hg for free. iam aware that the 88+v6 hg were made with shotty material or something to that extent. i found this web page that kinda explains it but i dont know how accurate it is. http://www.brian894x4.com/V6headgasketrecall.html any input on this?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
AFAIK it was all the 3.0's, from 88-95. (my '94 was done) Calling a dealer with the VIN should tell you if it's still eligible.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I tried this on a 3.0 4Runner I picked up a couple years ago, called the local dealer and they told me the recall had been completed long ago and was no longer in effect. May be BS, but they were quite adamant that it no longer applied.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I had the Toyota dealer run the vin on my 88 4runner and they said the only recall on that one was a bad fuel line. I was hoping it was part of the recall though, 'cuz I wanted to have them replace the headgasket lol

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
If you can post/PM me the vin I can run it for you. I work for a toyota dealer. we could use the work. most have been done, but we still see them from time to time. it was all 3.0L 88-95ish. in 94 they cought it and updated a few before launch but 98% are affected. they also have steering recalls and a A/C expantion valve recall aswell. Either way I can run it for you and let you know.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Worse your our is a phone call. I have a friend that had the recall done 3-4 years ago now, even then he was pretty stoked to have it done.

krany

kranberry
yea, well i guess the truck has already had it done 11 years ago, would that still apply?

@gorillaxj i will see if i can get the vin and send it your way

krany

kranberry
well ive called around to a couple dealerships and they said since its already been done that they wont do it again. so does anyone know of any shops that are fairly cheap to get this done at? EDIT as shop close to logan would be cool since thats where the truck is but it doesn't really matter

Last edited:

Chevycrew

Its really not that bad if you have basic tools and a chiltons...

When I did mine I bought, Gaskets, Head bolts (torque to yield), timing belt, starter, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, Knock sensor (very important, under the intake and never seem to work again once disturbed), etc. and spent around $400 I think?

I left the exhaust on the heads, saved a little work there.

krany

kranberry
Its really not that bad if you have basic tools and a chiltons...

When I did mine I bought, Gaskets, Head bolts (torque to yield), timing belt, starter, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, Knock sensor (very important, under the intake and never seem to work again once disturbed), etc. and spent around $400 I think?

I left the exhaust on the heads, saved a little work there.
i dont really have any of those, most of my tools have slowly disappeared since i left them in my jeep on my side yard, and ive never done any kind of motor work except basic things and never anything on a yota. its already has had teh plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a few other things replaced on it.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
doing work on a yota motor is not really any different than on any other motor, you can download the fsm's. go and get spend 50 to hundred bucks on a tool kit, or go to harbor freight and pick some stuff up, no biggie.

if you do pick it up and need some 3.0 parts let me know i just pulled one that has a spun bearing but all else is good