For Sale Toyota Based Rock Buggy

Coco

The time has come. This has been my baby for years, and has been one helluva fun rig, but the family is moving to more of a SXS type of fun. Not much Toyota left other than a bit of frame, and the engine. This buggy has had quite a few transformations since I have owned it. I picked up the chassis in 2013 and built it up over the course of 2 years. I can post a link to the build thread below, as well as my Facebook build album, though most pics are not working (thank you Photobucket!) It was completed in 2015. From October 2016 through March 2017, it under went another build where it was back halfed and rebuilt from the seats back, dovetailing it in the process, and shortening it ultimately by 10". Also going from a 113" WB to a 105" WB. The cage was also completely rebuilt. At the end of July 2017, the head gasket let loose. The engine was torn down, and given a new LC Engineering MLS head gasket, and stage 2 turbo cam. At the same time, the head was taken to C&T in Orem, Utah and had new Intake and exhaust valves put in, as well as checked everything over. The block was carefully looked over to make sure everything was good, and everything was re-assembled. When it was put back together we noticed the turbo seals went out, so the turbo was also replaced. It is now all back together, but it appears to still be blowing white smoke. Not sure the issue, but I am out of funds and time to tear it back apart. Long story short, it is currently running and driving, however it does blow some smoke. The rest of the specs are below:

Wheelbase: 105"
Front WMS-WMS: 67"
Rear WMS-WMS: 61.5"
Belly Height: Measurements Coming Soon
Ground to Roof: Measurements Coming Soon

*Titled/registered as a 2015 Toyota 4runner (UT DMV titles custom vehicles at time it is completed)
*Built off of an 85ish Toyota truck or 4runner frame
*Originally a Hendrix Motorsports F-Toy #78 - though not much F-Toy remains. Front was completely rebuilt in 2013 during original build, and from the seats back was rebuilt early this year.
*Toyota 22RE w/ 22R Valve Cover (clears front shock tower cross brace). Engine originally built from the bare block up in 2013 during first build. Its bored .20 over, has ARP piston studs, as well as head studs. Top end was then gone through with the parts listed above over the last 2 months. (LCE stage 2 turbo cam, LCE MLS head gasket, LCE Dual Valve Spring kit w/ Titanium retainers, new Intake and exhaust valves, etc.) Bottom end has maybe 2000 miles on it, and the top end is all new.
*Brand New TD-05 Turbo
*Propane powered w/ two aluminum tanks
*AW4 Automatic transmission w/ RADesigns/Winters gated shifter
*Dana 300 T-Case Twin-Sticked w/ Teraflex 4:1 kit, and HD 32 spline Output Shaft, 1350 Yokes.
*CNC Rear Cutting Brakes
*Tera60 High Pinion front axle w/ 5.13 Yukon gears, Yukon ZIP Locker, Yukon Chromoly inner and outer shafts purchased from Branik Motorsports, and machined for 50° steering angles, Yukon Super Joints. JHF High Steer 99-04 Ford Superduty knuckles and unit bearings. Trail-Gear Drive Flanges.
*Custom Offset/Shaved 14 Bolt rear axle, w/ 5:13 Yukon gears, and Yukon Grizzly Locker. Yukon/Dutchman Chromoly axle shafts, Disc brakes.
*Fox 14" Air Shocks
*3 link front, 4 link rear.
*Trail-Gear Full Hydro steering, w/ 10" double ended ram
*9000lb Front winch Trail-Gear rope
*2000lb Suspension winch rear, mounting on the axle w/ JM Rigging winch rope
*PRP Seats
*New Corbeau 5 Point Harnesses
*Maxxis Trepador 40x13.50R17 Stickies
*Trail-Gear 17" Creeper Lock Beadlocks (4.25" BS)

I know I am missing a bunch of stuff, but that is a pretty good list.

For full price offer, I will include a running 1996 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3L V6 w/ the 4L60E (only thing missing from it to be running and driving is the gas tank). I bought this thinking I might swap it into the buggy.

I will include the trailer for an additional $1500.

No trades at this time, unless it is for a 1000cc SXS (RZR, Can Am, or Wildcat).

Its a great buggy, and I have had a lot of fun with it, but I am ready to move onto something else.

$17,000 FIRM

PM me if interested, I will try to follow comments the best I can, but they may get lost in the mix.

Located in Lehi, Utah.
IMG_1327.jpg

More Photos found here, but I think most know what it looks like:
https://mchne.com/coco

Last edited by a moderator:

Coco

Thanks all, yes 17k FIRM, as I will not sell it for any less than that right now. I am thinking I might keep it, and get a different powerplant for it. That is my current train of thought. It's just so expensive! Haha #buggylife

It's going to Nationals this weekend, so we will see what happens.

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I am thinking I might keep it, and get a different powerplant for it. .

THIS is what you need to do. The buggy works great, but it's just under powered. An engine swap is much cheaper than the buggy you'll soon be building too.

Coco

Thats what I am thinking. Trying to decide if I want to go with the 4.3 my buddy has in that blazer, or go to the 3.4

Bart

I've driven both and besides the little bit of turbo boost of the 3.4 when in the right power range, I liked the 4.3 for simplicity and low end torque.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thats what I am thinking. Trying to decide if I want to go with the 4.3 my buddy has in that blazer, or go to the 3.4

LV3!!!!! 285 HP, 305 FT/lbs! I know we talked about this before, but it's a LS-based 4.3 with an aluminum block.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lv3/

IMO, it would be the last engine you dropped into that buggy... I bet the power to weight ratio would make you smile!

Coco

LV3!!!!! 285 HP, 305 FT/lbs! I know we talked about this before, but it's a LS-based 4.3 with an aluminum block.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lv3/

IMO, it would be the last engine you dropped into that buggy... I bet the power to weight ratio would make you smile!

The price though is my worry, or ease of finding it lol, plus a trans to go behind it, since that will need to be replaced as well. Then I wonder if the D300 will hold up...:sick: I am thinking about a GM option, since the 3.4L will be $1650 before fuel cell, or any further plumbing.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The price though is my worry, or ease of finding it lol, plus a trans to go behind it, since that will need to be replaced as well. Then I wonder if the D300 will hold up...:sick: I am thinking about a GM option, since the 3.4L will be $1650 before fuel cell, or any further plumbing.

I understand, it's the best option... not the cheapest! :greg:

I picked up a MPFI Vortec 4.3 (best power & tech for the old 4.3) for my Willys from a 2004 Chevy 1500 and paid $400.