Toyota engine rebuild award.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Yesterday I helped a friend with his Toyota runner engine rebuild, I watched he worked. With my experience working on Scout 800, Scout II, and Jeep ZJ I was amazed at the barrel of snakes under the hood of his pre-2000 runner. I would never work on one of them, I suggested he take it to Kurt or some other reliable Toyota person. I think Toyota owners that work on their own vehicles deserve Purple Hearts or some other award for there stubbornness. (Like Sixstring)

sixstringsteve

With all the toyotas I've owned, I've never had to do engine work. Even then, toyota engines aren't any worse to work on than anything else.

99% of the work I do on my toyotas is to make it more off road capable, not because something broke.

Last edited:

audiofreak97

The 3.4 engine isn't too difficult to work on. It just stupid expensive to work on. For the cost of head gasket kit you could do a nearly do SBC engine swap...

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
With all the toyotas I've owned, I've never had to do engine work. Even then, toyota engines aren't any worse to work on than anything else.

99% of the work I do on my toyotas is to make it more off road capable, not because something broke.

You must not keep them too long and sell them to someone else that has to work on them. How are the newer engines? You will never convince me they never break down.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
You will never convince me they never break down.

Nope. Never. When Toyota was founded, they put the very first motor they ever built on a pedestal and hooked up a gask tank and hired a family of ancient Shinto monks to keep it fueled. It hasn't stopped running yet.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Saw a newer runner taking a strap on Redwood last night. I almost took a picture for the spotted thread. He was doing a good job of keeping tension on the strap which I always appreciate. Totally being towed by a Tundra so hopefully it was a father and son bonding.

skeptic

I have a car essentially dead in my garage with an overheating issue, been sitting collecting dust for about 3 years now. It's been to different mechanics and pretty much anything you can think of for overheating has been addressed, but nothing fixed it. Personally I think it's a head gasket issue and the person who changed the head gasket either didn't machine the head or messed up on the install. I'm 100% confident it it was a SBC it would have been quick and cheap to fix, but it's a Toyota that has been a money pit I still can't drive. This isn't to say Toyotas are unreliable junk, they are generally pretty good, but they are not perfect.

sixstringsteve

Even nice guys like Steve have claws when they're backed into a corner by anti-Toyota banter. :)

I'm a sensitive guy. :p

It wasn't the anti-toyota banter, that's fun. I was the implication that since I sell rigs often I don't know what I'm talking about. I now realize that it was said in jest, but the truth in that statement cut a little deeper than intended (my bad). I'm definitely over-sensitive about how often I sell rigs. There's no denying I go through rigs like socks, I'm just a little too sensitive about it. It was the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm not proud of the fact that I buy and sell rigs often, it's not a character strength. It's kind of embarrassing and shaming really. You can't imagine the comments I get from my neighbors, from my boss, from my friends, from my family (but never my wife), and from RME about selling rigs and it adds up over time. I don't blame others for bringing it up, it's pretty obvious that I go through rigs often. It just wears on you after time. RME has more license to razz me about it though, I talk about it a lot more here.

I went into defense mode when I was called out in post #1, but I should have just taken it in jest and moved on. I should have ignored the bait and not fed the troll. It's the truth behind a joke that hurts, not the joke. Jack did nothing wrong, I just overreacted.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The thought of changing head gaskets on a Ford E-series van with a 6.0 diesel is a barrel of snakes in my mind :-\ 5VZ-FE 4runner? Not even close.

Cascadia

Undecided
Who cares how often we sell our vehicles. Who cares what other people say. I don't find it embarrassing or shaming at all when Odell vehicles often. It's what I like to do so I do it. I've stuck with my wife and not changed her out and that's the only important part. Everything else is just for fun.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Who cares how often we sell our vehicles. Who cares what other people say. I don't find it embarrassing or shaming at all when Odell vehicles often. It's what I like to do so I do it. I've stuck with my wife and not changed her out and that's the only important part. Everything else is just for fun.

Couldn't agree more... I'm a car guy, I like owning different vehicles and seeing how they fit my personal needs. I don't give a shit about what people think about how often I swap vehicles.

sixstringsteve

Jack's a good guy. He wouldn't take a personal dig at me. In fact, Jack and I are friends, so he probably felt more comfortable calling me out as stubborn (which I definitely am). Like I said, he did nothing wrong, I just overreacted. I take full blame. I wish I had just ignored it now, I feel pretty foolish. It's much ado about nothing.

I need to get out wheeling and camping, it's been too long. Work is taking its toll on me and I'm getting cranky.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Steve, when I take digs at you for buying and selling so frequently, it's because I'm jealous. I wish I could buy and build and enjoy a truck at a tenth the speed you do.

sixstringsteve

Steve, when I take digs at you for buying and selling so frequently, it's because I'm jealous. I wish I could buy and build and enjoy a truck at a tenth the speed you do.

Like I said, no need to apologize. It's me who needs to chill. RME is allowed to give me crap for selling vehicles, especially since this is where I brainstorm about which vehicles I like.