Toyota fuel pump problems

MattL

Is there a way to manually start the fuel pump in a 91 toyota truck? I think the fuel pump went out today while driving home. Want to make sure that is it before droping a full tank of gas out and finding out its something else.

Diags..
I loosened the nut that delivers fuel on the intake manifold till no pressure was behind it and then started cranked it over. No new fuel was being delivered.

So to my knowledge it could be the fuel pump, the filter or the on off mechanism for the pump.

Any suggestions?

TIA

81Ramchargerman

I'm not familiar with yotas, but you can't just wire it up for power using leads? If it's in the tank you should always pound on the tank and see if it starts, that might work.

MattL

Well still need help.

When you have the intank fuel pumps out of the vehicle cant you make the pump work just by connecting it to known good battery terminals?

Took the old pump out of the tank tonight and tried to do that, no go. also did that with the new pump and the pump also didnt come on. Am I missing something. Any suggestions.

Also, does anyone have a skematic for a 91 toy with 22re? i just moved and cant find my book in the boxes..

TIA!!

O'neal

?????????
miatre said:
Well still need help.

When you have the intank fuel pumps out of the vehicle cant you make the pump work just by connecting it to known good battery terminals?

Took the old pump out of the tank tonight and tried to do that, no go. also did that with the new pump and the pump also didnt come on. Am I missing something. Any suggestions.

Also, does anyone have a skematic for a 91 toy with 22re? i just moved and cant find my book in the boxes..

TIA!!

You can run a hot lead from your battery to the + on the pump.When you ran your pump out of the tank did you ground it to the battery,it should have worked for ya.

MattL

Hmmm what are the chances that the new fuel pump is bad as well.

Anyother suggestions..?

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
you may want to try submerging it in water when you try it out, I think some pumps have a safety so they don't kick on if no fluid is present.

O'neal

?????????
onetuff76 said:
you may want to try submerging it in water when you try it out, I think some pumps have a safety so they don't kick on if no fluid is present.

They will run with or without fluid.
Check out www.4crawler.com,dude's got some good tech and such,it should help you out.

MattL

that is where i was.. he has a picture of the skematic.

it doesnt make alot of sense.. it looks like there is a fule pump switch in the airflow meter..

Attachments

• FuelPump.gif
    FuelPump.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 3

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
84toy said:
They will run with or without fluid.
Check out www.4crawler.com,dude's got some good tech and such,it should help you out.
I know some fords have a sensor that won't let them run dry, thought maybe the toys might have the same

O'neal

?????????
onetuff76 said:
I know some fords have a sensor that won't let them run dry, thought maybe the toys might have the same
I know that my pump ran out of the tank hooked straight to the batt,maybe the newer ones do that though.

MattL

Thanks for the help guys.. looks like it is the afm. have it kinda jerry rigged have to get a volt meter to make sure.

WHAT A PAIN!!

O'neal

?????????
I just got done swapping EFI on my 84 block,it took me a week to get it all figured out and running.I was also having problem's with fuel,I'm glad it's running now.
I hope you found the problem and get it up and going again.....good luck. :)