Toyota FZJ80 rear bumper build

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Several months ago I picked up used bumper from an RME member for a FZJ Land Cruiser. It was a custom build, by an unknown person, as the guy I bought it from didn't build it. It has been well used, which didn't bother me, as I had plans to refurbish it and the price was right.

The bumper is heavy, very well built. It's got cut-outs for rear lights, D-ring recovery points and holes on the corners for spindles to make dual swing outs. It also came with a Slee 2" receiver hitch.

I wish I would have taken some pics of it when I got it, just to help complete the story, but I didn't. The bumper had been coated in a roll-on bed liner, which seems like a good idea, but it didn't look clean and there were places where it had been scraped off and rusted thru.

The first step was to start getting that rubber bed liner off... I used some paint stripper and a gasket scraper. It wasn't bad, but there were places I couldn't get to. I decided to have a local business sand blast the bumper, to clean up the remaining coating and get rid of any flaky rust that was left over.

Here's my plan to complete the bumper; Straighten out the one bent piece, fill in the top-upper gap with plate steel, weld up some seams that were never welded in original the build, add dual swing-outs with a spare tire carrier and a fuel can carrier and install 2 new lights. I have a bunch of 2" x 2" x .120 square tube in the garage, to build the swing-outs from.

This won't be a quick build, it's taken me months to get here, but I figured it would be worth documenting. I'm not sure how I'm going to finish it, powder coating is $$$ and POR15 seems to fade over time. I do want something that will fight off rust, as the bumper has plenty of pitting and minor surface rust already.

Here's the bumper and the back of the FZJ/Lexus LX450.-

1002365713_g8YEN-L.jpg

1002365768_m88E8-M.jpg

1002365826_BfTng-M.jpg

1002365883_Goins-M.jpg

1002366037_m7mc4-L.jpg

More of the bits and pieces... the swing-out spindles aren't the standard trailer spindles, but rather solid chunks of round steel with brass bushings. The tire carrier spindle is from Iron Pig Offroad. - http://www.ironpigoffroad.com//index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61&products_id=74

1002365932_AaLAS-M.jpg

1002365995_R6FZs-M.jpg

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Jealous... I would looooove to have a bumper like that on my Xterra. NOBODY makes a full replacement bumper for the 2nd gen Xterra's..

Anyways, carry on.. I'm jealous.

Greg

Admin
I need to replace the lights as the old ones that were on the bumper when I got it were severely rusted, bent & broken, I'm sure they didn't work. The hole is somewhat of an odd shape, it's 5" long by 1.75" tall. I would LOVE to find some LED lights that will fit, but I haven't been able to find any in that size.

Anyone know of any LED lights that would work here? I could open up the hole to 5" x 2", but I haven't found any LED's that size either.

1002366352_rkYkf-M.jpg

Here's what I have found, they're cheap enough.-

http://www.jcwhitney.com/slim-line-...gen-fog-lights/p2003749.jcwx?filterid=c2811j1

Greg

Admin
Jealous... I would looooove to have a bumper like that on my Xterra. NOBODY makes a full replacement bumper for the 2nd gen Xterra's..

Anyways, carry on.. I'm jealous.

Go buy some steel and get to it! I picked up some scrap plate steel for a front bumper build that will come next. ;) It's going to be built out of 1/4" and 3/16" steel plate for the main body, then have some beefy tube to protect the front-end. I want something that's plenty beefy and will protect the front end in the event of a crash. Hopefully it will look similar to an ARB by the time it's done.

Greg

Admin
Test fitting the plate steel to fill the gap on top of the bumper and checking out the spindles. The plate is 1/4", I probably should have gone with 3/16"!

1002524073_Q8MSV-M.jpg

1002524089_kN4cq-M.jpg

1002524178_AW4yg-M.jpg

Greg

Admin
Looks nice, ready to be dragged around on some rocks...

It has plenty of history with the rocks already! I think it will turn out well for what I need. :cool:

Interested on how your going to do the dual swing outs.

Yeah, me too. :ugh: I have a rough idea, but some of the details are a little fuzzy. If all goes well, I'll start on the swing-outs tomorrow evening.

Greg

Admin
So the welding & patching progress is going pretty slow, I'm trying to weld up the many spots where to adjoining pieces of plate were never welded together and there is a lot of that rubber bed liner in the cracks. The rubber is contaminating the welds, which is making for slow going. I've tried scraping it out, burning it out and haven't had much success. I'm going to end up with much more grinding and cleanup work than I had planned. :-\

Caleb

Lookin good. If you do a POR finish, just top it with a coat of Rustoleum. That will give you the great protection from the POR, and the UV protection form the Rustoleum so you won't have any fading.

Corban_White

If you aren't picky on the color (semi-gloss black IIRC) Marshall may be able to make the powdercoating less $$$ than you think. Of course, it is in Orem so that could be an issue. I may have to take some pics of my new bumper and start a thread. Too bad It is already painted and mounted. :( I suck at taking pics.

Silly Willy

So the welding & patching progress is going pretty slow, I'm trying to weld up the many spots where to adjoining pieces of plate were never welded together and there is a lot of that rubber bed liner in the cracks. The rubber is contaminating the welds, which is making for slow going. I've tried scraping it out, burning it out and haven't had much success. I'm going to end up with much more grinding and cleanup work than I had planned. :-\
Have you tried sand blasting or even soda blasting it? It can't hurt to try if not.

Greg

Admin
It's been quite some time since I've done anything with this, just too much other stuff going on and the bumper build got shelved. I finally dug it out of the garage, ordered some parts and paint and got back after it. I'll answer a few questions first, then hopefully we can get on with it.

I have some light in mind for ya Greg, give me a call and we can talk

Sorry Nick, I ordered some cheapie lights from JC Whitney, they were the exact same lights that were in there before. I'm not sure how long they will last, but I just hope they work OK.

If you aren't picky on the color (semi-gloss black IIRC) Marshall may be able to make the powdercoating less $$$ than you think. Of course, it is in Orem so that could be an issue. I may have to take some pics of my new bumper and start a thread. Too bad It is already painted and mounted. :( I suck at taking pics.

I'd really love to have Marshall powder coat it, but hauling up to Utah and back is a PITA. Trust me, I'd much rather let someone deal with sealing it up.

Have you tried sand blasting or even soda blasting it? It can't hurt to try if not.

Already has been sand blasted, there were a lot of holes and nooks that the bedliner was hiding in, our of reach from the guy that was doing the blasting. I picked most everything out, welded up the big holes and cracks, then ground them all down.