Traction Bar/Antiwrap Bar

Tebbsjeep

Do you guys run a traction bar on your tow rigs? My brother put a 2in lift block on his truck and now it has pretty decent spring wrap even just switching from R-D. I can only think that it is worse when pulling a trailer, which this truck will do 75% of the time. If you run one, what brand/style do you have on your truck?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The most effective Anti-wrap bar is the ladder bar with the shackle at the frame end. The physics get pretty wonky if you just run a single upper or lower bar and can actually cause more axle wrap because of the pressure it puts on the leaf under load. The ladder bar leaves the leafs out of the equation and prevents rotation at the housing but won't affect suspension travel because the shackle end allows for that pivot / rotation.

quick image search example:
1576602102744.png

Tebbsjeep

That's the design that I'm familiar with, and that's what I see being the best performing one too.

This is the new style that BDS came out with and I think my brother wants to go this route:

What do you think?

Tebbsjeep

It's a 2018 Ram 3500 dually with 25k miles that he bought bone stock. He installed a 2in block, 10 lug Alcoa wheels, and what are basically 37in tires on it. So there is quite a bit more leverage on the springs now. He never noticed an axle wrap problem until he added everything.

Last edited:

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
"better suspension travel"
huh BDS...???

My $.02, is that the BDS system would help.
But the ladder / shackle setup like what Herzog posted will work.