Trading a RTT for a high quality ground tent?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Thats awesome you have the megamats. I bought one last spring (2014)and love it. I got another one last fall for when the wife goes camping.

I don't take the turbo tent out most of the time since its usually just me. Its way to big and heavy for that.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Thats awesome you have the megamats. I bought one last spring (2014)and love it. I got another one last fall for when the wife goes camping.

I don't take the turbo tent out most of the time since its usually just me. Its way to big and heavy for that.

I don't have them yet, but once I decide on a tent I'll pick up a pair for the wife and I.

I could see leaving the Turbo Tent behind for solo trips... my Thermarest Luxurylite Mesh XL cot and Alps Mountaineering tent make a good lightweight/solo setup.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
As long as I have the space and weight capacity I'll never go back to sleeping on the ground (or floor if rooftop). I took notice of DAA setting up and tearing down on our Wendover to St. George trip and have adjusted my camping gear accordingly. I opted for the 8x9 Kodiak over the 7x8 Springbar since it gave a little extra room for two cots and has a second door. It is a heavy pig, though, about 68lbs. I also changed out my cot and table for old time, fold flat models. The ones that fold into a tiny bundle take 5x longer to get set up or torn down. I'm an old fart and could not believe how much I liked being able to swing my feet out of bed in the morning and sit (some day maybe I'll have a coyote fur rug for my tootsies like DAA) and then to stand fully upright to put on my pants.

I'm with DAA on how fast the Springbar/Kodiak is to set up. Drive a few stakes, spring the top, raise the roof. Not slow at all. Just not something I'd want to pack in for a mile or more.

Tonkaman

I've had this same debate several times in my own head. The biggest hurdles keeping me the RTT seems to be the cargo space, ease to set up, and most importantly not having to find a suitable tent spot.

I know I'm really hurting for cargo space in the Tacoma so a big tent like Kodiac would only fit up on a roof rack. That would not benefit me in any way over my current RTT and rack combo. I would imagine it would be even worse stuffing one into a jeep, specifically when your bringing the wife and storage is already slim.

I often drive for long hours and roll into camp after dark so I love the quick setup of the RTT. I know for a fact I'll be setting up my tent in a blizzard after dark, single handed while the girls stay warm in the truck till its done. For everyone's mental safety it better go up without a hitch!

The last thing that I can't get past is trying to decide on a good tent site. Like I said I'm often looking for a stopping point well after dark so time is if the essence and it's just hard to spot it at night. This is compounded by the fact that the wife and kid aren't going to sleep on a cot and I'm certainly not sleeping on an air mattress. We haven't tried any good quality sleeping pads but I don't imagine it going well since they require everyone to stay put instead of wiggle all over the place.

I certainly prefer the ease of a bivy and a cot but that is never going to happen with the girls along with me. And until they can learn to deal with sleeping on their own in a cot I'm stuck in the comfort of a RTT.

Greg

Admin
As long as I have the space and weight capacity I'll never go back to sleeping on the ground (or floor if rooftop). I took notice of DAA setting up and tearing down on our Wendover to St. George trip and have adjusted my camping gear accordingly. I opted for the 8x9 Kodiak over the 7x8 Springbar since it gave a little extra room for two cots and has a second door. It is a heavy pig, though, about 68lbs. I also changed out my cot and table for old time, fold flat models. The ones that fold into a tiny bundle take 5x longer to get set up or torn down. I'm an old fart and could not believe how much I liked being able to swing my feet out of bed in the morning and sit (some day maybe I'll have a coyote fur rug for my tootsies like DAA) and then to stand fully upright to put on my pants.

I'm with DAA on how fast the Springbar/Kodiak is to set up. Drive a few stakes, spring the top, raise the roof. Not slow at all. Just not something I'd want to pack in for a mile or more.

I hear you about sleeping on the ground, my cot has been great. The Exped MegeMat is so much more than the traditional backpacking mat, more like a home mattress. I think I'll get great sleep on either the cot or MegaMat.

Far as the tent, I'm sold on either the Jet Tent or the Turbo Tent. Still doing some reading and research.

Greg

Admin
I've had this same debate several times in my own head. The biggest hurdles keeping me the RTT seems to be the cargo space, ease to set up, and most importantly not having to find a suitable tent spot.

I know I'm really hurting for cargo space in the Tacoma so a big tent like Kodiac would only fit up on a roof rack. That would not benefit me in any way over my current RTT and rack combo. I would imagine it would be even worse stuffing one into a jeep, specifically when your bringing the wife and storage is already slim.

I often drive for long hours and roll into camp after dark so I love the quick setup of the RTT. I know for a fact I'll be setting up my tent in a blizzard after dark, single handed while the girls stay warm in the truck till its done. For everyone's mental safety it better go up without a hitch!

The last thing that I can't get past is trying to decide on a good tent site. Like I said I'm often looking for a stopping point well after dark so time is if the essence and it's just hard to spot it at night. This is compounded by the fact that the wife and kid aren't going to sleep on a cot and I'm certainly not sleeping on an air mattress. We haven't tried any good quality sleeping pads but I don't imagine it going well since they require everyone to stay put instead of wiggle all over the place.

I certainly prefer the ease of a bivy and a cot but that is never going to happen with the girls along with me. And until they can learn to deal with sleeping on their own in a cot I'm stuck in the comfort of a RTT.

There's nothing wrong with sticking with what you have because it works! If I still had a RTT, I'd stick with it.... but since I'm starting over, I'm trying to figure out the best option. With your setup, you probably have more room than I do!

Tonkaman

There's nothing wrong with sticking with what you have because it works! If I still had a RTT, I'd stick with it.... but since I'm starting over, I'm trying to figure out the best option. With your setup, you probably have more room than I do!

I don't doubt that at all! We really wanted a JKU, but I don't think it even possible to fit the three of us and gear in one. Toddlers take up tons of space, it's unreal...

Our problem is we have out grown the current ARB Simpson 3 and I can't decide what my next move is. I'll be watching this thread closely for good suggestions.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I don't know if I can ever do tents again. I just don't like the cramped space. I had a RTT. It was of good quality, but I didn't want to stick it on top of my disco. It was more burdensome than I originally imagined. Especially having to take a pee at night.

This worked great this weekend. I stayed warm and dry. my kitchen was inside away from bugs. I can pull my disco behind it, if I want to get further into the backcountry.

I know it seems lame, but with 4 kids and my wife, it works great.

11960011_10153171978440028_6511410303015867869_n.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I'm also looking for a nice, expensive, well made ground tent. For adventures where the truck won't go. I like the aussie tents.

The RTT just took up to much space, and in reality with the annex wasn't any faster to set up then a regular tent.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Like Dave I love my little Springbar, I have the outfitter 3 and it is perfect for me and my wife. It sets up in a few minuets and take down isn't really that bad, it is built like a tank and I can stand up in it. My only complaint is the cot I like wont fit in it, but I have a big cot.. the floor is 7x8 but it tapers pretty fast. I have 2 of these tents and have actually thought of selling one of them and buying a RTT to put on my trailer.

DAA

The last trip I was on with friends in a Coleman - they said that in their soaked and frightened misery, from inside their collapsed Coleman, during a lull from getting pelted by hail trying to hold the soaked tent off their already soaked bedding, they could hear me snoring from inside my tent and wanted to strangle me... I woke up all kinds of refreshed and happy. They were kinda tired and grumpy...

- DAA

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
And then Paul Bunnion came and clapped you on the shoulders and said, "Dave, you're such an excellent outdoorsman, would you like a ride on my blue ox?

"Certainly, and afterwards we can puff cigars around the campfire and I'll tell you of the time I drove railroad spikes faster than a steam machine." ;)

Hahaha awesome storytelling for the win. :D :cool:

muleskinner

The last trip I was on with friends in a Coleman - they said that in their soaked and frightened misery, from inside their collapsed Coleman, during a lull from getting pelted by hail trying to hold the soaked tent off their already soaked bedding, they could hear me snoring from inside my tent and wanted to strangle me... I woke up all kinds of refreshed and happy. They were kinda tired and grumpy...

- DAA

X2

I had a Coleman tent once. They are fine for nice summer nights if the weather is beautiful, otherwise they are junk. I own 3 springbars now and never worry about the weather.