Trading a RTT for a high quality ground tent?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Any follow up on this? Greg - have you had the turbo tent out much?

I'm leaning toward a turbo tent.

Not yet, we're headed to Baja over Thanksgiving and plan to use the tent quite a bit down there.

I'm excited to try out the new camping gear, the Turbo Tent plus a couple of Exped MegaMats should make for a comfy, warm, roomy and weather-proof camping experience. The packed size of the Turbo Tent is pretty large, the benefits of an quick & easy setup are offset by the size and weight of the packed setup. The tent bag when packed away is 4' long x 12" x 12" and after adding a ground cover and tent stake hammer it probably weighs close to 40#'s. I planned to carry it up on the roof rack and have practiced loading & unloading it... it's not difficult, just thought it was worth mentioning as it's a tad large and heavy.

carsonc1974

I have some feedback on Turbo Tent. I lived out of it for a week on the deer hunt and a few other little trips. It's been through light snow, heavy rain, and 20ish mph winds and stayed totally dry.

While set up is pretty easy, I still struggle breaking it down and putting it away. The tent also packs pretty large and heavy, so keep that in mind if space is limited

All in all, I really like the tent for what I paid. I called Black Pine and asked if they had any returns they would sell and of course they did. I think I payed $275 for the 6man.

Greg

Admin
I have some feedback on Turbo Tent. I lived out of it for a week on the deer hunt and a few other little trips. It's been through light snow, heavy rain, and 20ish mph winds and stayed totally dry.

While set up is pretty easy, I still struggle breaking it down and putting it away. The tent also packs pretty large and heavy, so keep that in mind if space is limited

All in all, I really like the tent for what I paid. I called Black Pine and asked if they had any returns they would sell and of course they did. I think I payed $275 for the 6man.

That's great information, sounds like it'll hold up well against the elements!

When I broke mine down and packed it away, it took some effort but I didn't think it was that bad? Seems like setup does go quicker though. And I agree on the size & weight once it's packed up, but your 6 man is obviously larger than my 4 man. I can't believe you got it for $275! I should have called about a returned 4 man! I paid full price, from Amazon which was more than double what you paid. -_-

carsonc1974

I know for a fact that they have a ton of returned 4 man tent for anyone interested. The catch is, you have to pick them up in salt lake.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have put about 50 nights in a turbo tent. I have model they don't sell anymore sadly, because it is the best of the bunch. It has a FULL rainfly and a nice big vestibule. Big enough for 2 camp chairs.

Rain=no problem.
high winds=no problem.
set up=easiest I have ever used
size=big and heavy (not as heavy as a spring bar)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Looks pretty sweet Greg! Let us know how you like it!

In other news I just spent nights 16 and 17 this year in my Coleman with a 13 month old in cold weather, wind and rain. Still alive. Kid slept through the night.
Although after 6 years the door zipper is starting to get sticky. Might have to put some soap on it. ;)

I did invest in a Tough Buddy tent heater, cracked the windows and ran it for a few hours so the kid had an easier time getting to sleep.
I'm impressed at the little thing, has a low O2 and tipover shutoff and by my estimation ran for 5hrs on low on a 1lb propane tank.
Also dual 4" foam mats and zip together his and her bags made for a great nights sleep. 9pm to 8am straight is not shabby for a little baby.

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Good tip on the returns!

Stratton - what do you do with the little dude? Pack and play? In a sleeping bag with one of you? We'll be doing our first tent stay with the girls this weekend.

DAA

So, just to add a random data point...

This past weekend, I got halfway to where I was going and realized I had spaced out the tent poles for my Springbar. Was going to be a frosty and windy couple of nights, didn't relish sleeping out under the stars and wasn't up for going home to get the forgotten poles as it was already late. Hit a Walmart in the next town and bought a 6 man Coleman Insta-tent. $150 for it. This one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-6-Person-Instant-Tent-Double-Hub/34761201

Setup is STUPID EASY! Like, way, way, WAY easy. Takedown is easy too. It beats the Springbar hands down for setup, and even on take down and packing I have to give the edge to the Coleman Insta over the Springbar.

Nice and roomy! For two guys on two cots, it was a palace. Plenty of headroom to stand up for two used to be 6' tall guys now more like 5' 11'' with our bad backs.

It packs up much smaller and lighter than a Springbar of similar floor space too.

Those are the three areas it compares well to the Springbar.

On a couple of cold, windy nights, the thin nylon of the Insta doesn't hold heat nearly as well as the canvas of a Springbar. And I've never seen such condensation either. Absolute worst I have ever experienced and this was on very windy nights. I'd hate to see how much condensation the Coleman has on a calm, cold night.

Wind noise was also the worst I've ever personally experienced. It just doesn't pitch very taut and the nylon is a noisy material and the damn thing was just plain noisy as hell in the wind.

Zippers are cheap ass and made to fail. Brand new, first time being used, had fussy, sticky, getting caught in loose material front door zipper. Don't see that zipper holding up very long at all to real world use in my real world...

Just generally cheap and flimsy feeling everywhere. The way I (don't) take care of a tent floor, I bet this one will have holes in it after ten nights. Can't imagine this thing - any part of it - lasting two or three years of my ownership and constant use. It will have holes in it everywhere, won't be a functioning zipper anywhere on it, probably be mildewed to hell from the condensation and me not taking the time to air it out at home afterward. All of which, is in comparison to a Springbar that has now lasted almost 18 years of my ownership and constant use. This is all speculation though, obviously, as I've only used this Coleman for 2 nights.

But for $150, I have no complaints. It exceeded my expectations and I can see how it would serve the occasional user, very, very well, especially in fair weather and in mild conditions. The setup and takedown is just so fast and easy and for the money spent it's a very roomy tent too.

Anyhow... That's my take on the Colman Insta-tent after two nights.

I have a trip in about ten days where I'm going to need two tents. I might take this again as the second tent, depending on the weather forecast. It packs up a lot smaller and lighter than my big Springbar, but if the forecast has much wind or precipitation, I'll have to take the big Springbar.

But, either way - in about two weeks, my new Coleman will be up for sale at $75. It will have either two nights on it, or six nights if I use it on the upcoming trip. Same price either way though - $75, if anyone wants to speak up for it :).

- DAA

Greg

Admin
Finally had a chance to spend some time in the Turbo Tent! We also both had the Exped MegeMat's, plus our Kelty mummy bags and camping pillows. I have to say that it was the BEST sleep I've ever had in a tent, I woke up refreshed and slept right thru the night. We did have a breeze blowing most of the night, but you didn't hear fabric flopping around. The thick material seemed to keep the tent pretty still and quiet. The MegaMats are amazing, I wish I had one years ago! Being a side-sleeper, camping and staying comfortable isn't easy. Both of my RTT's would have me waking up very sore, hips and shoulders. With the MegaMats that wasn't a problem!

PB234621-L.jpg

PB234626-L.jpg

I also was a huge fan of the setup & breakdown time of the tent, after setting it up at a questionable campground, then deciding we'd stay somewhere else for the night. The tent had been staked out, no rainfly and mats & bags were in the tent, but not yet unpacked. It took us just a handful of minutes to break it all down (camp chairs included), put it all away and hit the road. :D

carsonc1974

No rain fly and wind worked out well? I haven't tried that yet. Maybe I will take a chance next time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Greg

Admin
Greg, now that you've had your tent for a few years how do you like it? Are there any new models you are considering?

I'm still very happy with it, have used a few times since Baja and everything mentioned above is still true. The downsides are the sheer size and weights of the Turbo Tent, it's massive. Packing it, moving it, etc are a chore. When we went to Baja, it was on the roof rack... added a ton of weight up high.

I'm working on building a trail trailer from Anchor Mountain Overland using their DIY Kit, that will eventually have a RTT mounted on it. For awhile I had a similar setup with a small 4x6 trailer and our RTT. I liked how you could get somewhere, drop the trailer and set up camp. Once it's done, we will have options of taking the trailer and RTT or the Turbo Tent and Exped MegaMats.

Greg

Admin

Rock Taco

Doesn't look like Oz Tent makes the Jet tent the same anymore. I liked the old style with the taller s=ceiling in the middle instead of only on one side of the tent. I only see one option on turbo tents site although lighter weight it looks smaller at only 7'x7' @Greg can you confirm the floor of yours?

Greg

Admin
Doesn't look like Oz Tent makes the Jet tent the same anymore. I liked the old style with the taller s=ceiling in the middle instead of only on one side of the tent. I only see one option on turbo tents site although lighter weight it looks smaller at only 7'x7' @Greg can you confirm the floor of yours?

The Pine Deluxe 4 Person Turbo Tent is 8 x 8...