Traeger select smoker

Jesser04

@Jesser04 What do you think of your Yoder after having it for a while? Worth the dough? I know that earlier this year they upgraded the controller to have wifi but in general are you happy with it? I've been on a smoker binge this week and really want to buy one. I'm still trying to work out some things first though.

I like it but...
Yoder’s aren’t for the casual smoker it requires more maintenance (hopper must be cleaned after every use or it won’t light). I own a treager also and use it 10 to 1 over the Yoder. Most the time we are cooking Chicken, hamburgers stuff like that and the treager is just easier to use. That being said if you are doing long smokes on a regular basic then it dominates the treager.

If you are serious about getting one pm me and maybe we can work something out. I’ve been eyeing a treager timberline.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
I’ve been eyeing a Yoder as well. Surprised you have to clean the hopper out after every smoke. Why won’t it light?

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Talk to Jesse, he persuaded me to NOT pursue a yoder. I'm kind of on an island right now, I really want a smoker but am not sure what I'm willing or want to spend to get one.

Jay5.9L

I'll throw him a PM :)
Check KSL, tons of slightly used smokers there. I'm fairly new to smoking and I can see how its either something you do a few times and are meh or you really get into it. I'm getting more into it, having a lot of fun, and family/friends are enjoying the food. Check out the epic food threading the chit chat section. Lots of smoker goodness.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Talk to Jesse, he persuaded me to NOT pursue a yoder. I'm kind of on an island right now, I really want a smoker but am not sure what I'm willing or want to spend to get one.
I dig my Traeger. There are lots of options out there now, but have always had good luck with Traeger. I 2nd @Jay5.9L in perusing KSL for slightly used one. The only part I have ever replaced on one is the igniter rod.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I've been cruising ksl for a bit but that's where the indecision has come into play. Jesse suggested I go for a timberline traeger and there are a couple good used ones on KSL. Those ones are pretty pricey though and I could buy 2 new pro models and still have hundreds to spend on beef.

My BIL has a rec tec and says that's the ticket. The truth is I still have a bit of work to do on my wife before I ought to drop the $$$.

Jesser04

Smokers are like diesel trucks every guy thinks his is the best in reality they’re all good. If you’re just getting into smoking I’d get the biggest and best deal you can find on KSL. I honestly don’t think there is a bad pellet smoker out there for the weekend guy.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Smokers are like diesel trucks every guy thinks his is the best in reality they’re all good. If you’re just getting into smoking I’d get the biggest and best deal you can find on KSL. I honestly don’t think there is a bad pellet smoker out there for the weekend guy.
My R2D2 smoker sucked. Hard as hell to control the temperature. My pellet smoker is great. I'm sure all of the pellet smokers are great, as they are pretty much all the same design.

Tonkaman

I've been cruising ksl for a bit but that's where the indecision has come into play. Jesse suggested I go for a timberline traeger and there are a couple good used ones on KSL. Those ones are pretty pricey though and I could buy 2 new pro models and still have hundreds to spend on beef.

My BIL has a rec tec and says that's the ticket. The truth is I still have a bit of work to do on my wife before I ought to drop the $$$.
I have a traeger and love it!

One thing I would mention is that being WiFi enabled is priceless. I bought a WiFi thermometer from ThermoWorks and it was a total game changer! This allowed me to be sure my smoker was maintaining temperature, and gave me the freedom to leave the house without worrying.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm for sure wanting a pellet smoker, I've said it before but a while back did make a drum smoker that was a mess. It took too much work for meh results. I went to costco (WVC) on Saturday hoping that they'd have traegers I could check out and price but it seems like they are all gone for the season.

On a side note, do any of you smoker nerds have Aaron Franklins book? I have watched his PBS show and enjoyed it and when I followed Dereks link to thermoworks just saw the book. I'm going to have to pick that up too.

Edit: I just read the intro to Franklin Steak and now thats in my cart. Jeez, I'm jonesin' for a steak and its only 6:30... its going to be a long day, or an expensive lunch.

Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I went over to BBQ Pit Stop (13th south and 3rd west) at lunch and talked to the guy there. They sell the traeger pros, ironwoods, and timberlines. He was good to talk to and it was also good to see them in person to get an idea of the size of the smokers. I feel like the 650 ironwood is plenty big enough where before I didn't know if I'd want the next size up just in case. As I looked at them and thought about prices I also saw the yoders and prices for those too which they carry. Yoders are BEEFY. I like the heft of the yoder and the ys480 is like an 800 cu inch size. I feel like if I was going to spend the money on a timberline I'd be better off pushing that same amount of money to the yoder. What Jesse said on the phone though keeps echo-ing back and I just get disoriented. At this point I feel like I could justify the ironwood 650 pretty easy. If I was going to throw a few hundred more at it though I'd probably walk away with the yoder. The yoders he has there have the new wifi boards which I really want in a pellet smoker.

The guy was really nice though and wasn't pushy at all. I'm sure I'll be back even if I don't buy a smoker from him because they had a ton of stuff for smoking and he was real decent.

Oh, I also read up about the costco road shows and it seems like they aren't selling the newest models at those. If I go traeger I think I'll be getting at least the ironwood.

Reactions: DAA

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I have the Traeger Pro Series, and use it 4-5 times a week. The newer digital controls let you cook as slow or as fast as you like. It’s fairly low maintenance, considering how much I use it. I clean the ash out of it every couple of weeks, about 5 minutes with the shop vac. I’ve not had a single failure in the two years I’ve had it, but I do go through a lot of wood pellets, about 40 pounds a month.

Jay5.9L

Agreed on going bigger. I have the mid sized green mountain which will do 3 big racks of ribs flat but there are times when I’m entertaining where a bit more room would be nice.

They are like TVs and boob jobs. No one ever said I should have gone smaller :)