Trailer coupler rebuild

Tebbsjeep

My trailer has a large amount of play in the coupler, and I'm wondering if it can be rebuilt. This is the style of coupler.

Attachments

• IMG_20220425_172113.jpg
    IMG_20220425_172113.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20220425_172052.jpg
    IMG_20220425_172052.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220425_172055.jpg
    IMG_20220425_172055.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 44

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm not sure that it can be. I don't see any adjustment points to remove the slack, either. It's a pretty simple job to weld a new one on.

Tebbsjeep

I bought it from a guy that got rear-ended in it. It messed the ramp up pretty good, but he told me he had Big Bubbas look it over and they gave it the ok. Obviously they missed the coupler being loose. It will raise off of the ball almost a half inch, but not come off completely. It tows very well other than that. I'll probably grab this coupler to replace it:

Coupler

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I’m not a huge fan of that type of coupler but Chance uses hitches more in a year than I have in my whole life so if he says it’s good I believe him. I would however get an adjustable height one if I were to ever cut mine off and start fresh. It’s an easy security measure at the very least.
682A7BEA-1169-42A4-A1FC-83D553431953.jpeg

Tebbsjeep

I don't know if I need that fancy of a setup. I didn't pay that much for it, and it's only got a 2999 GVWR/single axle. I don't know if it's that desirable to steal.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m not a huge fan of that type of coupler but Chance uses hitches more in a year than I have in my whole life so if he says it’s good I believe him. I would however get an adjustable height one if I were to ever cut mine off and start fresh. It’s an easy security measure at the very least.
View attachment 148712
This one.

They do make a collar coupler for those adjustable channels, too 👌🏼
View attachment 148714
Plus this one.

I bought it from a guy that got rear-ended in it. It messed the ramp up pretty good, but he told me he had Big Bubbas look it over and they gave it the ok. Obviously they missed the coupler being loose. It will raise off of the ball almost a half inch, but not come off completely. It tows very well other than that. I'll probably grab this coupler to replace it:

Coupler
I've seen this one tear several times. Right behind the collar where the frame meets the coupler.

Theives will absolutely steal your trailer, no matter how ugly it is. @jeeper makes a great suggestion on the hitch pins.

If anyone on here needs this coupler changed out, I'll do it for cheap if you can bring the trailer to my house.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'm usually safety 3rd but...
Be advised from engineering standpoint using removable hitch pins instead of tight bolts severely lessens the strength of that hitch to trailer coupling.

It makes the coupling rely almost entirely upon the sheer strength of the pins.

Instead of the clamping friction of using bolts.

I would advise against it in heavy load applications.

5/8" hitch pins each (assuming the usual grade 5) would have 22,000lb+/- 5% static shear strength. Dynamic loads on a trailer can easily double or even triple it's actually gross weight. (Grade 8 is 27k).

The reason a center pin on a standard 2" reciever hitch doesn't see that load directly is- at ~10" deep - you see lots of frictional force from side loading (downward specifically) the receiver tube.

A hitch coupler is fairly loose in the C channel and at best it's 2" deep.

Easy solution is quality grade 8 bolts (with proper sized unthreaded shanks) and an impact to remove/ reconnect the coupler quickly.

And I love that idea. I may cut the standard hitch off mine and do that.

If you're under the safe weight of failure on those two hitch pins, go for it. But for hauling your rig, and implement or a dump trailer think twice and at least check your weights.

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I put a little bit of thought into that when I did my hitchpins, but when I looked at brand new trailers they were just as loose and floppy as my hitch pins are. I was slightly nervous a couple of times about the hitch pin idea, but it has proven to be more than sufficient for me. Of course I’m no engineer, so take your own risks in life.

If the hitchpins are not sufficient, I don’t see a problem drilling a hole through the end of a grade 8 bolt and using it as a pin. No matter how hard you tighten them, the channel is not going to pinch tight against the coupler

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
If the hitchpins are not sufficient, I don’t see a problem drilling a hole through the end of a grade 8 bolt and using it as a pin. No matter how hard you tighten them, the channel is not going to pinch tight against the coupler
Yeah there's definitely no clamping force with this style coupler. The Jeep Dolly uses hitch pins, but my dump trailer still has bolts. I used an impact to install the bolts when I moved the coupler down a few holes and it rattles around just as much as the one with hitch pins.