Trailer repair

Houndoc

I have a flat bed trailer I use for hay- about every 6 weeks moves from by horse pen to the barn and back. Round trip about 100 yards.
But, for the last few loads have had problems with the latch mechanism in the hitch, taking manipulation with screwdriver to release.
Last Friday could not get it to release, so time for some repairs.
Obviously hauling it without trust worthy latch isn't a great idea.
@Hickey or anyone else interested/able to do some mobile repair in Grantsville?
Will pay of course.
20210101_132054.jpg20210101_132142.jpg20210101_132114.jpg

xjtony

I'd second the lube as the first step. I have the same mechanism on my buggy hauler and if it doesn't get a regular spray down it can become VERY difficult to unlock when on a hitch. It looks like this one is stuck without being on a ball? If its not fixable they normally have that style of hitch in stock at either the Tractor Supply and also at Cal Ranch. I don't think it would take too much work to swap out

Houndoc

I'd second the lube as the first step. I have the same mechanism on my buggy hauler and if it doesn't get a regular spray down it can become VERY difficult to unlock when on a hitch. It looks like this one is stuck without being on a ball? If its not fixable they normally have that style of hitch in stock at either the Tractor Supply and also at Cal Ranch. I don't think it would take too much work to swap out

pics taken after I got hitch off.

Did you try unplugging it and plugging it back in? ;)
Tried that after I couldn't find the restart button!

4x4_Welder

That looks like a Harbor Freight hitch. I have a 2 5/16" one waiting for the next project. They do get very unhappy if not lubed, they also work way better if the ball is lubed.

Houndoc

That looks like a Harbor Freight hitch. I have a 2 5/16" one waiting for the next project. They do get very unhappy if not lubed, they also work way better if the ball is lubed.
I used a good amount of WD40 on it and will see what happens with the next load of hay sometime in February and go from there.

Houndoc

Gave it a few good sprays since the last post, worked much better when moving hay yesterday. Will see what happens from here!

xjtony

My Father in law religiously greases the hitch on his trailer and completly wipes it down after every trip. I tease him about it but I've never seen it get stuck on him lol