Trailer wiring blowing fuses

Pike2350

I borrow my father-in-laws trailer once in awhile to tow the Rodeo. It's an old beat up 16'.....and while its done the job the lights have always been an issue. This is not a trailer he uses often...and really has sort been neglected.

I hooked it up to my truck today and it had no lights. After some inspection it actually turned out to be blown fuses on my truck ('12 F-150) i swapped out the fuses and they blew again. I'm not automotive wiring savy and really have no idea what to check. Hiw do I determine if its my truck issue or the trailer?

Some of my F-i-L e.ployees say the lights always worked when they've used the trailer....so I'm worries its my truck that may be the issue. The truck has factory max tow package with bc.

Any help would be great

One other thing. My truck doesn't recognize there is a trailer hooked up either...so no trailer brakes. I wish I understood automotive wiring.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
First thing to see if it is the truck or trailer is to unhook the trailer, replace the fuses, and see if they blow immediately again. If not, find another trailer you can hook up and test to see if it blows the fuses too. If so, truck issue. If not, trailer issue.

If the trailer is blowing the fuses, chase the wiring to each light and to the brakes. You should see where it is shorting out, but may not. If it isn't immediately evident, youll want to learn how to use a meter and look for open circuits on the wires.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
if you take the truck to a Uhaul I believe they will check the connector for you for free... or you can buy a cheap adapter at walmart that you plug in and it tells you if the wiring is good.

I would be glad to help you check the trailer wiring.