Transfer case options

4x4_Welder

I'm looking for suggestions on a transfer case for my Courier. I had planned on running a BW case, but the frame rails are closer together than I had initially accounted for, so I don't have much room to play with.
Vehicle specs-
1981 Ford Courier/Mazda B series pickup
Mercedes OM617 diesel
F150 M5R2, may swap to a ZF S5-42 later
J2000 D44, left hand drop
Toyota 8" rear
Ford three link front suspension with TJ coils
Weight about the same as an XJ with 4.0
Basic use will be mostly overland style, not going nuts in rocks but I don't want to have to bypass everything I roll up to.
Original plan was a BW 1356, but that won't fit between the frame rails. I've considered the NP205 as it's narrower, but is heavy and has a lame low range. Custom cases aren't in the budget right now.
I'm now leaning towards redrilling the trans flange to drop the BW1356 lower, or even an NP208, but is there another case to consider? I am pretty well locked in on the Ford trans with a 31spline output, and the left hand drop.

4x4_Welder

That's kinda what I am thinking, I have the stuff to redrill the trans, so no clocking plate required.
I have run the NP208 in an 84 F250, SAS with a built 300-6 and C6, the only problem it ever gave me was putting a snap ring through the side of the case on the freeway.
I know Dodges used a narrow offset chain drive case, the NP241HD, is there a way to swap a 31 spline input into one?

thenag

I had an 87 bronco with a np435 np203/np205 doubler so I have a bit of experience with a similar setup.

I can't think of anything that would be light. Even with the 200lbs and huge length of a 203/205 it still only got 4:1 in double low.

I say go with the np205, deal with the not very low, low range. (for a while someone was making a 4:1 for the GM 205 but I don't recall anyone ever making gears for the Ford.) The 205 is easy to find, easy to work on, very strong.

For some reason I am thinking that the np 208 isn't quite as wide as the BW cases, it might be worth checking out a 208.

It looks like for about $325 you can get an adapter to put a dana 300 behind a "c6 or ZF" A dana 300 would be a good case to go with, decent low range, tons of aftermarket parts.
https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...al-transmission-to-jeep-dana-300-adapter-kit/
Used dana 300's were going for $300-$350 when I got mine.

My bronco was much heavier than what you are building, but I would never consider that Mazda 5 speed, If you don't already have it it might be a good idea just to go with the ZF from the start, it will have a much lower first gear than the Mazda.

I think a ZF/dana 300 combo would be a sweet setup but pretty pricey

Nathan