Transmission advice

SnwMnkys

Probably make money and get your trans for free between selling off the 5.0 and the 8.8. If the OBD2 5.0 wasnt such a pain to swap in Id say throw it in there as well. Probably makes more power than that smogged out 351w.

Toad

Obviously you like the motor home and have intentions of keeping it. Have you considered swapping a modern motor/ transmission combo? I vote 6.0 LS

xjtony

Obviously you like the motor home and have intentions of keeping it. Have you considered swapping a modern motor/ transmission combo? I vote 6.0 LS
The thought has crossed my mind, but i kind of like the 351. It runs really well and I kind of want to keep it. Just making it a bit more reliable.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
My vote would be for a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. I used to be a dealer for them back in the late 80's through early 2000's and installed several in motorhomes and tow vehicles for people. It totally transformed my personal coach from one that was limited to around 62 MPH and struggled towing the 8500 pound enclosed race trailer.

I put a wide ratio gear set in my TH425 behind my 454 and it helped but once I installed the Gear Vendors unit it really completed the package. Basically I had six forward gears and could easily split my gears when pulling grades and stay in my torque curve. That was hands down the best mod I did to my first coach and I put about 50k on it dragging my race trailer around for about 6 years.

Technically, if you decide to sell and replace the motorhome later you can always remove and transplant the unit to a different rig.

Mike

xjtony

My vote would be for a Gear Vendors overdrive unit. I used to be a dealer for them back in the late 80's through early 2000's and installed several in motorhomes and tow vehicles for people. It totally transformed my personal coach from one that was limited to around 62 MPH and struggled towing the 8500 pound enclosed race trailer.

I put a wide ratio gear set in my TH425 behind my 454 and it helped but once I installed the Gear Vendors unit it really completed the package. Basically I had six forward gears and could easily split my gears when pulling grades and stay in my torque curve. That was hands down the best mod I did to my first coach and I put about 50k on it dragging my race trailer around for about 6 years.

Technically, if you decide to sell and replace the motorhome later you can always remove and transplant the unit to a different rig.

Mike
The only issue I have with the GV unit is cost, but it hadn't crossed my mind that it could be pulled and used again.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
The only issue I have with the GV unit is cost, but it hadn't crossed my mind that it could be pulled and used again.

Agreed. It isn't a cheap option which is why I wanted to make sure you realized that you could move it from one vehicle to another. Only thing will be driveshaft length will have to be altered again when removing it.

I had a couple of customers that I removed the unit and installed it in their new vehicle. One guy I moved at least three, maybe four times. Started out on a one-ton dually then he had me move it to his first motorhome then a couple more. His was also one that I tore down to inspect upon one of the transplants and found little to no wear after about 80k miles. The conical clutch assembly exhibited very little wear and upon resealing and putting back together it went into another RV and back on the road.

That may help make the cost a little easier to swallow, but I feel that is the best option as it not only helps with final drive RPM/speed but by having the ability to gear split it helps move the vehicle up grades with less effort resulting in less heat and overall I feel it adds to the longevity and reliability of the vehicle because of less strain is being exerted on the drivetrain.

Mike

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Agreed. It isn't a cheap option which is why I wanted to make sure you realized that you could move it from one vehicle to another. Only thing will be driveshaft length will have to be altered again when removing it.

I had a couple of customers that I removed the unit and installed it in their new vehicle. One guy I moved at least three, maybe four times. Started out on a one-ton dually then he had me move it to his first motorhome then a couple more. His was also one that I tore down to inspect upon one of the transplants and found little to no wear after about 80k miles. The conical clutch assembly exhibited very little wear and upon resealing and putting back together it went into another RV and back on the road.

That may help make the cost a little easier to swallow, but I feel that is the best option as it not only helps with final drive RPM/speed but by having the ability to gear split it helps move the vehicle up grades with less effort resulting in less heat and overall I feel it adds to the longevity and reliability of the vehicle because of less strain is being exerted on the drivetrain.

Mike

Three speed chart to keep this thread somewhat on topic.

1604508926725.png

Sounds tempting to regear my V10 to 4.88 or something and run an overdrive unit on the rear axle and split shifts when needed. I might even get 13-14 mpg in OD? Interesting chart for my Ford -- https://www.gearvendors.com/4x4f4s.html $3500 will buy me a LOT of gas though.

1604508860357.png
1604508821042.png