Transmission attachment for floor jack

Tebbsjeep

I'm replacing the clutch on my dad's liberty, and I'd like to have a more secure way to support the transmission. What have you guys cobbled up to attach to your floor jack? I'd rather not spend the money on a dedicated transmission jack.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Neighbor basically had a 2x4 platform attached to the floor jack with a pipe flange that he secured the transmission to. I've also seen people just balance on a floor jack without anything but usually they have someone to help as it goes up and down. I got the $100 harbor freight transmission jack last time I worked on mine, it comes in handy when you need it but it's in the way the rest of the time. If you're close grab it but I thought you were up north so may be too far.

Tebbsjeep

I should only need to slide it back enough to swap everything out. Hopefully I don't need to drop it very far. If I were closer I'd certainly take you up on that.

boogie_4wheel

A few years back we used a motorcycle jack to pull the 6spd and t-case on my dad's truck to do the clutch and rear main. Don't know if it was as good as a trans jack would be, but we were successful.

Tebbsjeep

Thanks guys. I think what I built will work. It hits the ribs on the transmission good enough that I don't think it'll move. I'll put a ratchet strap on it to make sure too.

Tebbsjeep

Well it worked alright. I still had to do some bench press maneuvers to get the transmission lined up. His throw out and pilot bearings were toast/nonexistent. It now drives as smooth and quiet as a liberty can.