Transmission Shop Recommendation

redrockrover

I had the transmission go out on my commuter car last night. It is ‘02 Dodge Neon and I have about 136k miles on it. I need to get it fixed and what to know of any good transmission shops in the south end of the valley. I would really like a warranty that offers lots of miles because I put about 25k on in a year.

Tanner Transmissions offers an ownership warranty. Basically it covers your tranny as long as you own your car. My question is I think I remember some negative feedback about Tanner Trans. Would you recommend Tanner, and if not what shop would you recommend?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
So I take it that this is an automatic? I would search for a remanufactured tranny or even a low mileage wrecking yard pull and put it in yourself, there is really nothing to it, those are super simple cars with plenty of room under the hood!

crzyjeep

:mad:I took a car in to Tanner for a diagnostic, and then the dealer I bought it from said they would replace it for less money. When I picked the car up from Tanner it drove a block. The tranny fluid had been drained and never re-filled:mad: I called and complained to the manager and he said it was my tranny....I ended up flat towing to the dealer.

cowmilker

SUPER CHEESY
I took my Suburban (95 k-1500 4l60e) to Tanner (in midvale), and it came back to me running smooth as new. I have only had it back about a month though. Total with tax was $2500, with a 1yr warranty. The lifetime warranty was going to be over $4000. A guy I work with had his done ("89 k-2500 700r4) by Tanner about 3 yrs ago, and has never had a problem with his.(he said his cost about $1800).

Meat_

Banned
:mad:I took a car in to Tanner for a diagnostic, and then the dealer I bought it from said they would replace it for less money. When I picked the car up from Tanner it drove a block. The tranny fluid had been drained and never re-filled:mad: I called and complained to the manager and he said it was my tranny....I ended up flat towing to the dealer.

My parents took a Buick to Tanner. Tanner said it needed a complete rebuild, we didn't believe it. We decided to pick it up and change the filter/oil. Not only did that fix the problem, but upon inspection they hadn't even touched the car (Tanner claimed that they had dropped the pan and looked at the trans).

Last edited:
I've found the guys at Tourist Auto down on 11th? and State really know what they are doing. Bought parts from them to DIY and had them put in a couple of rebuilds.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I've bought t-case parts from Tourist and they were super awesome to work with.

I had the tranny in my Dodge fixed at J&G. Joey is an off-road guy and has a dodge so I figured it was in good hands. Never had a problem with it after they rebuilt it.

Cody

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
AAMCO is universally reviled. The horror stories are amusing though.

Carl, Von, Bryson, MBryson, and a few other non-wheelers have recommended J&G over the years, I'd give them a shot. Joey talked me OUT of $900 worth of parts once, and gave detailed reasons why I should not buy them (TH475 parts... :D) If a business values educated customers more than $900, they're doing ok in my book.

redrockrover

I am still deciding what I am going to do. I might just pick up a tranny from a junk yard and put it in. I don't know I don't really have a lot of time right now. I will give J&G a call and see what they say. Thanks for all the insight.