Traxxas TRX-4

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So I finally got my self a 110 Land Rover Defender. At a fraction of the cost of a real one. LOL

So its a 1/10th scale crawler. It has portal axles with front and rear lockers as well as a 2 speed transmission. 4 link rear and 3 link front. Looks pretty cool. It'll be here Tomorrow. So I also ordered a couple batteries for it.

I'd like to upsize the tires and maybe lift it a little. How do the tire sizes work on these things? What is a 1.9 vs a 2.2? I think it comes with a 1.8 tire. But I'm not really sure yet.

Anyway here's a picture and link of what I got. I actually got the grey one.

crawler-003.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Scal...&qid=1498503109&sr=8-1&keywords=traxxas+trx+4

RogueJeepr

Here!
Great looking RC. [emoji106]
I think the tires it has will be fine. You'll be amazed at it's abilities . No need for improvements. If you can handle that. Ha ha. [emoji38]

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Caleb

Here's an images showing 2.2 vs. 1.9 to give you an idea.

AX12015-5.jpg

I agree with RogueJeepr, run the 1.8 before making any decision on getting larger tires. If you go larger, you will have to either trim body work or limit travel. Either route is easy on RCs but half the fun on the scale crawlers is crawling with scale components. :). To give you a little advantage, you can add weight to the rims inside the tires, that will keep you rubber down a bit better.

Caleb

Couple ways I did it. The cleanest/easiest was I bought some Proline wheels that came with wheel weights. They were metal rings that bolted around the center of the wheel (think similar to a hummer run flat/beadlock). One my other wheels I used thick soldering wire and wrapped the center of the wheels. I've also seen guys used lead stick on wheel weights. I'm sure there are many other ways too, pretty much anything that you can get distributed around the wheel that won't slide around. That's another think I did, I relocated the battery to be over the top of the front axle. Gets that weight lower and forward.

Pike2350

Wheel weights are easy...as long as the tires aren't glued on. If they are, which these one say they are....it's kind of a PIA You have to break the bond and then reglue when you are done. A decent set of beadlocks would be nice...but the detailed metal ones (Method, KMC, XD licensed ones) are pretty spendy at about $100+ for 4. I'd find some old Axial stock beadlocks or other plastic ones if you really want them...they are pretty cheap, and the Axial ones are pretty plentiful. It looks like they are using the 12mm hex, which is the most common (if not the standard). These are the rims that are nice and cheap and easy to add weight/change out the foams on. http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax8087 This looks like they have the battery set pretty low, so it may not be an issue.

The wheels are done as inches, so a 1.9 is 1.9" in diameter, where as a 2.2 is 2.2" in diameter. The wheel itself isn't the biggest thing...the tires come in all kinds of sizes. Just think of it like real life or 1:1 trucks. a 15" rim can have 31/33/35 and some 37" tires. Same thing with the RC world. The rules for competitions put class 1 (most scale) as a maximum tire height of 4.19", although many of the 1.9" tire sizes can go as high as 4.7" diameter. So it really depends on what you want.

I've been out of the scale RC world for a few years, but was really into it. I made my own bodies (or modified hard bodies) Looking over some of the stuff, they thought of a few nice things on this truck....so it looks like a good RC. This is really Traxxas' first try at a scale crawler.....and it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

Coco

If you're looking to upgrade tires, I would recommend going down to West Valley Hobbies, and pulling several different size tires off of their shelves and comparing them. I saw one of those TRX-4s while I was there on Wednesday last week, and it would pretty sweet looking. My first thought was those axles would be KILLER for a competition style buggy.

But tires you would be surprised as to what different sizes 1.9s come in. Pro-Line now makes 1.9s that was the same size as the 2.2 ripsaws pictured above. For my particular wraith I am building, I am going to be picking up a set of 1.9 boggers for the build. They are the G8 compound (Pro-line's sticky compound) so they should still hook up on the rocks, and give me the look I am going for on this build.

I like to use the stick on wheel weights for my tires, but I also like the thick solder idea. Which ever route you go, just make sure that you do a couple wraps of electrical tape around the weight. Nothing worse than having weight come loose when you're out crawling, or bombing across the desert. If the tires are glued (I think Traxxas sold those with beadlocks, but not 100%) you will need to see if you can carefully peel or unglue the tire from the wheel.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
just got a charger and battery for it. ouch that was expensive.

I adjusted the coilovers to be a little taller. It crawls really well.

The only thing I don't really like is that the front locker is the only one i can run by itself. I think I'm going to switch those two servo's around on the board. I'd rather be able to steer and have the rear locked by itself. Then if I'm in real trouble, I can lock the front as well.

Coco

just got a charger and battery for it. ouch that was expensive.

I adjusted the coilovers to be a little taller. It crawls really well.

The only thing I don't really like is that the front locker is the only one i can run by itself. I think I'm going to switch those two servo's around on the board. I'd rather be able to steer and have the rear locked by itself. Then if I'm in real trouble, I can lock the front as well.

I haven't looked that close at the electronics on the TRX-4, but I would think that should be easily doable with switching the plugs on the receiver, then just make sure each servo is throwing in the correct direction.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Mine is sitting there collecting dust. I feel silly playing around with a kids toy now. Used to be huge into the rc thang and then..... drones came out. So want.
"Just when I think im out, they pull me back in".

Last edited:

lime chev

I've used the lead weight that comes on a roll and just put about two wraps around the wheel. I think its 1/4 thick. you can buy it in the fishing section.

RogueJeepr

Here!
They used to use lead shot and just let it sit at the bottom of the tires.
Kinda like how tractors/rockcrawlers used water for weight.
Was less stress on the steering servo.
Mine still has that floating around the bottom of the front tires.