Gear / Accessories Tremec 5 speed?

Inherited an 84 cj with a built efi 350, th350 mated to a dana 300 twin stick. Not loving the 3 speed auto. Looking for advice or 5 speed manual conversions. Thoughts?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Welcome to RME!

What's your primary use for the Jeep? If you spend much time offroad, an automatic trans is way easier to drive offroad than a manual. You could swap in a 700R4, get a deeper first gear ratio and gain overdrive, both would be a great match to the 350 and the Jeep.

If you wanted to swap to a 5 speed, it would take a decent bit of effort... adding a clutch pedal, hydraulic master and slave cylinder, etc.

Either way, you will probably have to move the Dana 300 back a little and shorten/lengthen driveshafts.

If it were me, I'd buy a quality rebuilt 700R4 and go that route.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'm with @Greg on the 700 swap. Otherwise I'd find an OEM 5 speed/tcase combo and figure out how to match that to a 350 (everything has been mated to a 350, hasn't it?). I have a TBI 350/700/D300 in my rig if you're wanting to look at a full size 3d image. I'm in Bountiful. I'm personally not the biggest fan of the D300 despite running one.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I had a 350 with a 700r4 in a 89 YJ. It worked well enough with a stock wheelbase. Although the rear driveshaft was short with the stock 231 tcase. You should be in a little better shape in a CJ7 since that Dana 300 is a bit shorter.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
I started with a 350/700r4/Dana 300, but the 300 has been replaced... The 3:06 first gear on the 700r4 vs. 2:52 on the TH350 is pretty nice on the rocks.

The TH350 isn't a bad unit, but the 1:1 3rd gear needs a little help on the road. Especially where everything modern has several overdrive ratios and everyone is used to rolling around at 70mph...

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Nv4500?

I ran one in my early Bronco and quite liked it. Not much downside. It might end up shorter than the TH700/4l60e option?