Tricks to get a Job Done Easier

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
^I like that^
I do the same thing with the hitch on my truck. I have my tube bender and notcher on mounts.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Removing spindle needle bearings:

Find a thick washer that is close to the size of inside of the bearing. I had to grind one down just a tiny bit. Put the washer in the gap between where the spindle necks down and the bearing. Then use a chunk of tube (in this case I used 1.5") to hammer the bearing out. Some will pop right out, some will take a few wacks and need to be rotated.

I already gave this one slight hit to make sure it was gonna budge. Stopped to take a pic before popping it all the way out:
IMG_3271.jpeg

IMG_3272.jpeg

IMG_3273.jpeg

Huge time saver for these little buggers.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
If you have a manual jack on your press, do this asap. Just a 9/16 nut, drilled a hole and tapped it for 1/4" thread and welded a wing on it. Now I don't have to fumble around with the stupid bar anymore.

View attachment 118064
I just welded a 2" long 1/4 bolt to all my bottle jacks and tube bending ram. I backed the bolts out as far as i dare before oil comes out and welded and immediately quench it with a wet rag as to not smoke the seal.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
If you have a manual jack on your press, do this asap. Just a 9/16 nut, drilled a hole and tapped it for 1/4" thread and welded a wing on it. Now I don't have to fumble around with the stupid bar anymore.

I have the same press with the same bottle jack and HATE the valve. THANK YOU!

thenag

My welding table probably deserves its own thread, but yeah I have a vice on a receiver, a home made plasma cutting table (that i never use), and I quickly made a axle work station. With welding vice grips I could hold the axle well. Oh yeah and a bottle jack with a cart so I can wheel the table around very easily.

My tip is to put a 1/2 inch nut on the receiver with a 1/2 bolt in it, tighten down the bolt and the vice doesn't wobble.

DSCN5082.JPG

DSCN5084.JPG

DSCN5948.JPG

IMG_20160319_060301.jpg

Nathan

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
While we are on welding and axles, my son's Titan chewed a rear wheel bearing up last week. I could not get the outer race out of the axle tube. I normally pull the other axle shaft and use a long piece of 1" drill rod to pound it out. Someone suggested running a bead on the race. I tacked a bolt onto it to have a handle to pull on post weld, then ran a bead around the race. The thing fell out when I touched the bolt.

4x4_Welder

Whenever doing anything, even if you drained all the fluids, have your drain pans ready. Keep coolant and oil ones separate. Not much sucks worse than running around trying to find an empty pan while something is dumping out on the floor.

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME
Vendor
While we are on welding and axles, my son's Titan chewed a rear wheel bearing up last week. I could not get the outer race out of the axle tube. I normally pull the other axle shaft and use a long piece of 1" drill rod to pound it out. Someone suggested running a bead on the race. I tacked a bolt onto it to have a handle to pull on post weld, then ran a bead around the race. The thing fell out when I touched the bolt.

Thats pretty common in the semi industry. A smart mechanic will put the new ones in the shop fridge feezer first and then welded and remove the old one. The welding will warm up the hub enough that new frozen ones will practically drop in.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Awesome. I love those ideas, since I just started learning how to TIG weld, I can't tell you how much a couple of these ideas will help for metal handling and position holding.

Thought of this today...

2" hitch receiver attached to the workbench for various things. Currently have the bench vise and a bike repair stand, but need to make mounts for my ring roller and bench shear.

View attachment 117005

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Big hippy
I learned a new trick today. Fricknacking wheel would NOT come off, not with kicking and pounding and prying and PB Blast overnight and everything else I could think of. Not even driving around on loose lugnuts did it. Got it back on stands and started looking for where I was going to cram the hilift, and it hit me.

20200509_091058.jpg

2x4 between the tire and the leaf spring, let the steering pump do the work.