Tricks to get a Job Done Easier

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So I'd love to see if you have some tricks to make jobs easier.

Having an old Land Rover, some things were cobbled together in the factory. On Fridays when Nigel came to work already drunk, things weren't done as good as they could have been. Normal for British cars.

They were not very good at welding in thread-inserts or nuts. Especially true with the rear bumper, on my Range Rover, where you can't get to a nut on the backside. You can't get a wrench on the nut to so you can undo the bolt without a lot of swearing.

So I remembered my Dodge has these things to capture the bolt. And I decided to make my own.

Grab some strap steel. Then grab your favorite bolt and nut.

Cut the strap to a good length, so the bolt will not be able to turn once you start tightening the nut.

Grind off the top of your bolt, you don't want to inhale any zinc while you are welding. Then weld the piece of strap to the top of the bolt.

Drink some Pepsi and now you don't have to swear at the bumper you are trying to install.
20180125_205036.jpg

20180125_205256.jpg

20180125_205533.jpg

Last edited:

Homefryy

Check for current before peeing on a fence

Many years ago I was leaving a party with a friend and my car was parked on the side of the road. He jumped over the ditch to pee in the weeds. All the sudden I hear a scream and he collapsed. Turns out those weeds had an electric fence running through them. So maybe the advice should be check for a fence before peeing.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Replace the stupid, hard-to-get-to drain valve on your air compressor with galvanized pipe, a couple elbows, and a ball valve.
Now the water sits in an easily replaced piece of pipe not in the compressor tank itself, it's much easier to drain, and doesn't blow oily water all over your hand.
20180622_124041.jpg

There, fixed the photo

Last edited: