Trip planning thread: What would you do to haul a car hauler trailer on this route for 10-12 days?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
1643478942526-png.145560

Considering this trip. There's a couple of "bucket list" type items on it for me. It was originally just going to be myself and possibly my wife. @lbryson and @ebryson seem somewhat interested as well. The big question is, do I rent a motorhome for something like this or do we do the hauling with the Lincoln Navigator and risk cooties in various hotels along the way? This would have to be a 10-12 day trip to make it worth anything to me.

This will happen in early-mid May of 2022 or 2023 if we pull it off.

Our destinations of interest are
-Oregon Trail, Pony Express, Mormon migration monuments across this route (where it makes time sense)
-Pony Express museum in St Joseph, MO
-Missouri Star Quilt Emporium, Farm Implement Museum and Man Cave in Hamilton, MO (I'm beyond excited for that one :D)
-Buick GS Nationals @ Beechbend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, KY
-Corvette Museum & factory in Bowling Green (not sure how intact that area is)
-Nashville----nothing particular, but we are close enough we should go there?
-The National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY--- (I'm beyond excited for that one :D)
-home through I-70 just for a change of scenery across the plains

Any other attractions we should add? {Worlds biggest ball of yarn? Jim's ice cream emporium of Nowhere, KS? ---that kind of thing}
Motorhome vs Navigator? (buy a truck camper and use the F350?) ---I'd kind of like the motorhome as I'd like to do that for a couple years when I "retire" (assuming that'll happen?) but I could do a different "test drive" at another time

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Ya know, a real man would drive his big block there and back again. It can't get any worse fuel economy than the Navigator towing a loaded car hauler.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Ya know, a real man would drive his big block there and back again. It can't get any worse fuel economy than the Navigator towing a loaded car hauler.

Maybe the next year when I have some seat time and trust in my car? I'm not quite up for the Roadkill experience but like the philosophy of it. Especially not while taking my wife :D

Last edited:

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I vote camper or motor home. Then you never have to worry about a place to stay or go to the bathroom. Sounds more relaxed especially if your not in a hurry. Stop at any rest area or Walmart parking lot.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I'd be beyond spoiled in something like yours :D What's towing capacity on your type of rig?
All of it. That thing is so big it has its own gravity.

I've done most of those points on the Mormon history travel trail dealeo
And the Corvette museum although the factory was closed for C8 production (like it wasn't out yet) while we were there. That's pretty darn fun though! They have their own race track at Bowling Green too

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Sorry if I missed it, but why are you dragging a car hauler?

I think a motor home would add a bit of flexibility to your travels. Booking rooms in advance locks i your travel plans pretty firm. On the other hand, the RV will definitely cost you more money due to fuel and very high rental rate.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Sorry if I missed it, but why are you dragging a car hauler?

I think a motor home would add a bit of flexibility to your travels. Booking rooms in advance locks i your travel plans pretty firm. On the other hand, the RV will definitely cost you more money due to fuel and very high rental rate.

Hauling a Buick on the car hauler to the race/show

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Personally, I despise, even loathe, hotels/motels which is why we travel via RV.

That being said, long trips like this are awesome as I love seeing them by way of the back roads.

Good luck planning the trip.

Mike

mbryson

Supporting Member
Seat time, isn't this a year away? Get going, there is plenty of time for trial and error.

If I tried to make this happen this year, I wouldn't have any seat time. For 2023, I could make that argument to run the car that far IF MY WIFE WASN'T GOING WITH ME. It'd be worth just taking her Lincoln for her to come with and she seems more excited about the trip than I expected.

comingdown

We did a big trip this summer, we took our expedition max and did the hotel thing. It was great except for the limited options they had (none) in towner ND where my grandma lives and celebrated her 90th birthday. Read reviews, and you can find good hotels most places. My brother rented a motor home and had a miserable wife and 3 daughters because he couldn’t run the a/c while driving, only the cab a/c, so it was July and the back of the motor home was a million degrees but he was comfortable. Not sure if he’s just a dummy and couldn’t figure it out or if that’s a motor home thing but he made it sound awful.