TRUMP: Whats the real deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndoc

Yeah......because Obama never did anything like that during his 8 years. Oh yeah.....the whole DACA executive order that is unconstitutional. Declaration of an emergency for national security is 100% a constitutional right of the president.

Good old "what about isms". Trump supporters fall back defense.

Whether or not Obama (who I did not vote for) abused power is irrelevant as to whether or not Trump should, other than the fact that Republicans objected when Obama did so and supposedly hypocrisy is wrong.

And although the president has the legal right to declare an emergency, the idea is that it is a real emergency. If we allow the president can define an emergency as that he didn't get his way with congress we might as well simply declare him a dictator and cease to pretend we live in a republic with three equal branches of government.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
And although the president has the legal right to declare an emergency, the idea is that it is a real emergency. If we allow the president can define an emergency as that he didn't get his way with congress we might as well simply declare him a dictator and cease to pretend we live in a republic with three equal branches of government.

Our government has not operated under 3 equal branches of government for a long time. I hate to say it but I dont believe our government is anything like a representative republic like it is supposed to be. If it were then Congress would be passing budgets and the courts would not be legislating from the bench. Obama set a new standard for the way all future presidents will govern.

I am not falling back on a "well he did" excuse. I am trying to point out our new reality. If you keep smoking the pipe dream that this President should operate under the traditional political culture than your lips are going to get burned.

ID Bronco

Whether or not Obama (who I did not vote for) abused power is irrelevant as to whether or not Trump should, other than the fact that Republicans objected when Obama did so and supposedly hypocrisy is wrong.

I think we should hold everyone to the same standard, no argument here on that, now the debate of what is an emergency is another interesting debate.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!

I fully agree that the two wrongs make it right defense holds no water.

Not really unconstitutional if he uses executive authority as you point out. As other have pointed out anyone who thinks we still have three co-equal branches of government is kidding themselves, but further abuse of executive power doesn't help put us back on track.

So how do we define a crisis? Ask a hundred people and you will probably get a hundred different answers. For what its worth my $0.02 says the situation on the border is a crisis.

Houndoc

Consider the definition of emergency:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/emergency

If you look at the facts- illegal immigration is down, number of illegal immigrants living in the US is down and that an increasing number of families are showing up at the border instead of single men (I dare say a less crime prone demographic) and they are more likely than those in the past to apply for asylum (a completely legal thing to do) it is hard for me to see "emergency" that warrants bypassing of Congress.

Even if we accepted the idea that the problems at the border are an "emergency" (to be clear I do not), then a wall which will not be complete for many years isn't the solution.

As I have stated before, the immigration system as a whole is a huge mess and needs major reforms. But an "emergency declaration" to build a few hundred miles of wall does nothing to address that.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
As I have stated before, the immigration system as a whole is a huge mess and needs major reforms. But an "emergency declaration" to build a few hundred miles of wall does nothing to address that.
I agree with this. The real problem is that the people who control how things move through Congress and Senate (both R & D) have no real interest in solving the problem. Division is job security.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I think all of President Trumps executive orders were to correct Obama's illegal executive orders and notice some have been corrected by congressional law changes which should have been done in the first place. President Trump has tried to change Obama's illegal actions by getting Congress to do its duty.
The border and immigration have been an emergency for at least 40 years but Congress and our Presidents have played kick the can down the road and President Trump is now trying to do what is good for the country. If changes had been made years ago we would not have the problem we have now to the degree we have it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Seriously though. Where's RBG? Could you imagine if this was a conservative background justice during the previous admin? They'd be demanding proof of life by the 3rd day.

Enjoying the show...

ID Bronco

I hope he exposes the evil, sickening, horrific baby murdering (yes that's what it is) legislation that has been orchestrated in the NE area along with the new green deal, which would essentially ban the combustion engine in his State of the Union speech. The media won't, so it's up to him.

Seriously, is anyone really involved with any worthwhile pro life groups? I can't shake this feeling that I need to do more, not sure how to make an impact without ton's of money.

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I heard today that immigration is now issuing asylum seekers a court date and sending them back to Mezzico to wait. Basically, exactly they way it should work if they simply went to the US embassy in their native country and asked for asylum. It keeps the families together, out of the US, and discourages more caravans from coming, this is good. I wonder how far out the court dates are, some have suggested it takes two years to get a hearing. Will Mezzico let them stay that long? If they can live peacefully in Mezzico do they qualify for asylum in the US?

Homefryy

I heard today that immigration is now issuing asylum seekers a court date and sending them back to Mezzico to wait. Basically, exactly they way it should work if they simply went to the US embassy in their native country and asked for asylum. It keeps the families together, out of the US, and discourages more caravans from coming, this is good. I wonder how far out the court dates are, some have suggested it takes two years to get a hearing. Will Mezzico let them stay that long? If they can live peacefully in Mezzico do they qualify for asylum in the US?

Maybe part of fixing the immigration problem can be making it so people can apply for asylum at and embassy in their home country but currently you must be in the US or at a port of entry.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Remember earlier I said this current shutdown was a distraction?

Because this is already happening (filmed last July)

RedCastle

It's gonna be tough for a lot of people when they realize that Trump isn't the moron that they've been told that he is.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm sorry if this is obvious, but I can't figure out your intended meaning by spelling Mexico this way. Is it a reference to the mixed descendence of many Mexicans?
Perhaps trying to say "mesoamerica" in reference to the ancient culture from that area?

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I was think it might be a reference to mestizo's, but I couldn't come up with any reason why that would be relivant in a way that Redneckica isn't.

Ah, yes... I think that might be a bit highfalutin as well in terms of the context.
I suppose it could have been an attempt to say México? But mistakenly using zz's instead of the "he" sound denoted by "xi" in Spanish?
This is a very interesting etymological quandary.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
It's gonna be tough for a lot of people when they realize that Trump isn't the moron that they've been told that he is.

When people who barely graduated high school, have no grasp of biology, physics, geography, math or the English language make statements about how dumb our president (any president) is, it makes me laugh. I don't care if daddy gave Trump $100 million. There are plenty of trashy people who have won giant lotteries and pissed it away. Those are the stupid people. Anyone running a major business/corporation or holding a national level office is not a moron. They may be void of ethics but they are not the 50 IQ imbecile that the common citizen often refers to them as. Even those I really loathe like Pelosi are far more intelligent than most people calling them idiots.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Ah, yes... I think that might be a bit highfalutin as well in terms of the context.
I suppose it could have been an attempt to say México? But mistakenly using zz's instead of the "he" sound denoted by "xi" in Spanish?
This is a very interesting etymological quandary.

Maybe some sort of inside joke? You know, the kind that only makes sense inzzide your own head?

Noahfecks

El Destructo!
I'm sorry if this is obvious, but I can't figure out your intended meaning by spelling Mexico this way. Is it a reference to the mixed descendence of many Mexicans?

Nope, just my way of trying to keep the mood light. You know that if you read racism into everything everyone says it's very likely that you are the racist in the room?

And you're point is completely invalid because you spelled descendance wrong. :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.