Toyota Tub Toyota Wheel Well

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
88 4Runner SAS

My 37" tires rub the firewall of my front wheel wells. Anyone around Northern Utah County I can hire to "tub" them for me? I just don't have the tools to do it.

My rears rub a bit as well, but I know that's quite a bit more work. For now I've just extended my bump stops to prevent too much damage to the tires.

Cheers.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

What front springs are you running? a RUF swap will push your axle farther forward than a Marlin, Allpro, or TG leaf pack, and that may be enough. How bad are you rubbing? How much will we need to cut out of the front firewall? I actually think the rears fenders are less work (but don't kid yourself, they're still a ton of work).

I've done 5 front tubs on toyotas, and two rear fender tubs. It's a not fun, but it's not the hardest thing in the world. For the right price I would tub the front, but it won't be cheap. I'm sure there are others who would do it a lot cheaper than me (mainly because I don't have a lot of time, and I hate doing it :D). I'd also be willing to do a cheaper rate where you helped and we did it together. There are parts that it's a 2-man job.

Let me email some friends and see if they're schedule is more open than mine.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Shoot Skippy a PM. He's in Tooele, but he comes to Lehi regularly. He'll be cheaper than me. And let's see some pics! i love me a toyota on 37s.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
With the right year of pack I think 84-88 you should fit 37's fine. Here is mine on 37's with a ruf pack.
IMAG0434.jpg

Marsh99

Heres some spring info about Toyota Leaf springs.

79-85 Toyota front Flat length = 45" Front Half = 22.5" Rear Half = 22.5" Width = 2.36" Front Eyelet = 18mm ID Rear Eyelet = 18mm ID

79-83 Toyota Rear Flat length = 48" Front Half = 21.125" Rear Half = 26.875" Width = 2.36" Front Eyelet = 18mm ID Rear Eyelet = 18mm ID

84-88 Toyota Rear Flat length = 48" Front Half = 20.5" Rear Half = 27.5" Width = 2.36" Front Eyelet = 14mm ID Rear Eyelet = 18mm ID

89-95 Toyota Rear Flat length = 51" Front Half = 21.5" Rear Half = 29.5" Width = 2.36" Front Eyelet = 14mm ID Rear Eyelet = 18mm I

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
Interesting. Maybe I don't have to tub - perhaps all I need is the right spring pack. I'll measure what I currently have an post back tomorrow.

Thanks Tacoman!

sixstringsteve

Your pics make it look like you have the right spring pack. I'm guessing you'll just have to trim your fenders a bit and not even have to tub the firewall. Where is it rubbing? In the outer fender, or on the inner part? Is your plastic liner still in your fenders?

Marsh99

And remember bump stops are essential with ruff packs! My tires have only rubbed when my leafs flex to negative. I am only on 35's now but that pic was a test fit of 37's.

leorn

reset
Don't forget to pound the pinch seam flat, and you can redrill the spring perches to move the axle even further forward. I run 39s on ruf and rub under the battery, but not the pinch seam. I also trimmed my fenders.

Hopefully you pushed your steering box way forward.

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
From my measuring, I definitely have these leafs:

84-88 Toyota Rear Flat length = 48" Front Half = 20.5" Rear Half = 27.5" Width = 2.36" Front Eyelet = 14mm ID Rear Eyelet = 18mm ID

Here are some more close-ups:

From the side -- notice outer fender is cut back more. Not rubbing outer fender.
IMG_0216.jpg

Closer from the side. My thought is that it's hitting the part that curves out (where the most rust-colored part is).
IMG_0217.jpg

View from underneath. Most threads I read cut that firewall back to the first body mount...so I could gain quite a bit of space.
IMG_0218.jpg

Steering arm/tie rod...not much room to move the axle forward more
IMG_0219.jpg

sixstringsteve

Yup, it sounds like its time to do some tubbing. The bummer about a shackle In the rear is that the rear wheel moves back as the suspension cycles up. Skippy can hook you up.

sixstringsteve

do your bump stops prevent your spring from going into a negative arch? I'd say your axle is plenty far forward. I wonder if your bump stops are just too far up. You may want to lower them to stop the spring when it's exactly flat (otherwise you'll kill your springs and lose your arch quickly).

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
No bump stops at all, Steve. That's a problem :) Tons of flex *can* be good...but not all the time. I think that will be my stop-gap for now. I'll fab up some up before my trip - I'm sure that will make a huge difference. I'll look at tubbing if the problem persists. From what I've read, tubbing is really only required if you want them 38.5" meats (or larger)...I don't need that.

I'll start researching as well - but any recommendations on bump stops for the front springs, send them my way.

Thanks all!

88 Runner SAS

Saving Money For Parts
The Runner has 88 Pickup X-cab rear leafs in the front with some misc. leaves mixed in. Bump stops were on my list before I sold it 2 years ago, never got to it. Glad to see pics of that thing again, I wondered what happened to it. She's lookin good.