Jeep Tube Fender Question

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I am looking at buying some tube fenders for my JK. Currently at the top of the list are Motobilt but Genright is a close second. I am currently debating more about what size of fender to buy. Do I get the “narrow” option or the “regular” option in terms of size? I would much rather prefer to do the narrow ones (they look waaay better IMO), but I don’t want to have to talk to the policia every time I pull out of the neighborhood. Mind you, it’s been over a decade since I have had a street Jeep and back then, mud flaps and flares seemed to be targeted by the law.

Anyone on here run a “narrow” fender on a street Jeep? Do you get hassled by the coppers at all or has the popularity of modified JK’s eased some of that pressure?

Thanks y’all!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am looking at buying some tube fenders for my JK. Currently at the top of the list are Motobilt but Genright is a close second. I am currently debating more about what size of fender to buy. Do I get the “narrow” option or the “regular” option in terms of size? I would much rather prefer to do the narrow ones (they look waaay better IMO), but I don’t want to have to talk to the policia every time I pull out of the neighborhood. Mind you, it’s been over a decade since I have had a street Jeep and back then, mud flaps and flares seemed to be targeted by the law.

Anyone on here run a “narrow” fender on a street Jeep? Do you get hassled by the coppers at all or has the popularity of modified JK’s eased some of that pressure?

Thanks y’all!
It seems really hit and miss, from what I have seen. I still have the OEM flares on the front, but my tires do stick out beyond them a couple inches. I've been waiting for my MCE narrow front flares for 4.5 months.

RockChucker

I wouldn’t run tube fenders on a JK. MCE all the way. Or some other plastic flare. Tube fenders are stronger than the sheet metal they are attached to…so if you tag one, the whole tub can get caved in.
If you do want metal flares though, nemesis industries were always my favorite.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
If your on the road at all in wet, salty season you will appreciate a little wider fender, my jk and tj have narrow and I can’t see out the side windows when the roads are wet
Good call out… Something I really need to consider when thinking about how much road use the Jeep will get. This will not be a daily driver, so I can pick and choose when I “want” to drive it.

I wouldn’t run tube fenders on a JK. MCE all the way. Or some other plastic flare. Tube fenders are stronger than the sheet metal they are attached to…so if you tag one, the whole tub can get caved in.
If you do want metal flares though, nemesis industries were always my favorite.
Yeah, so I never even considered this. I will start looking at MCE and any other plastic options. Going this route saves me a ton of money up front and possibly money at the body shop too.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Good call out… Something I really need to consider when thinking about how much road use the Jeep will get. This will not be a daily driver, so I can pick and choose when I “want” to drive it.

Yeah, so I never even considered this. I will start looking at MCE and any other plastic options. Going this route saves me a ton of money up front and possibly money at the body shop too.
I feel the same as RockChucker about the rigid flares.

I suggest ordering your MCE fenders from Northridge. That way, when they haven't come in two months, you can call up to cancel the order like my friend did and suddenly see your flares two days later.

I ordered mine directly from MCE on the same say as my friend ordered his from Northridge. I'm still waiting at 4.5 months. They are a great flare, and they used to be twice as much money last year. They just can't keep up with the orders

Evolved

Less-Known Member
I feel the same as RockChucker about the rigid flares.

I suggest ordering your MCE fenders from Northridge. That way, when they haven't come in two months, you can call up to cancel the order like my friend did and suddenly see your flares two days later.

I ordered mine directly from MCE on the same say as my friend ordered his from Northridge. I'm still waiting at 4.5 months. They are a great flare, and they used to be twice as much money last year. They just can't keep up with the orders
Because they are so cheap (relatively speaking), I just placed an order for MCE Flares from Northridge. We’ll see what happens…

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Because they are so cheap (relatively speaking), I just placed an order for MCE Flares from Northridge. We’ll see what happens…
Yeah they were pretty steep for a plastic flare last year, but they performed very well on several of my buddies JK's. I had already ordered the rear flares and was saving up for the fronts when they dropped the price in half.

Evolved

Less-Known Member
So… not sure if I should share this with you or not. Buuuuuut, I ordered mine from Northridge over the weekend and got my “shipped” email with a tracking number today.