Turbo Swap

Paul R

I have an 84 F250 6.9L Diesel, That i would like to swap a turbo into but don't want to buy a new turbo setup i have another truck that i could pull the turbo from but don't know how much work it would be. I was thinking all i need from the other truck is the turbo and both manifolds (exhaust and intake). is this correct?? and i am also wondering if I am in over my head, is it really worth it. Anyone know anything about this or have done something similar?

Caleb

check out the tow rig section on PBB...I think there has been a thread over there about this before...I know nothing about diesels other than they take a ton of oil to do an oil change:D

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I've wanted to do this with my 85 diesel i think your right with gettign the exhaust and all teh turbo parts as far as it being worth it depends on how cheap you can get the Turbo i've looked at used ones and found them from $600-$800. I heard once thati was a bad idea to put a turbo on a truck that didn't have a turbo on it in the first place. But i think Turbob on here has alot to do with Turbo's Not sure though???? You can do alot with to gane power with out the turbo.

Also Look at www.thedieselstop.com and go to the 6.9L forum.

Stuff to do to get power before Turbo.

Timming
Cut salad bowl out of the air cleaner makes it sound cool to.
Straight pipe.
Bend or remove metal plate out of the intake.
Turn up Injector pump but will only gane a littel and alot more smoke inless you have a turbo.
Also The throttle cable will give you some more power.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
the injector pump is already turned up. all the banks stuff is FREE from another truck sitting in his dad's parking lot. so the price is right. we wanna know how hard or timely this will be. the mechanic that passed it at inspections said it'd be great with a turbo. it's a VERY strong runner right now. 85+mph to Idaho and back easy. I'm gonna check out POR, thanks.

-Jason

Turbobob

Semper Fi
Portrnrzuk said:
. But i think Turbob on here has alot to do with Turbo's Not sure though????
Sorry to disappoint but I don't work with turbos. The screen name just worked because of the vehicles i drive, a Cummins turbo diesel & a Subaru WRX. :)