Turkey for thanksgiving

Jesser04

Is anyone smoking one? What’s your plan I’m smoking one for my sister. 12lbs injected it last night with creole butter and rub it with Cajun rub smoking it at 225 and basting it with butter and maple syrup mix every hour. Either gonna be the best or worst turkey ever.

Side note anyone thinking about buying a temp prop smoke by thermoworks kicks ass.

81B0B4E9-EC28-4500-B9A2-380D6109F25F.jpeg

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We're smoking a 5 pound Turkey breast (just 2 of us) on the Treager. I mixed up some butter with garlic, poultry seasoning with salt & pepper and injected it, then rubbed the outside with what was left. I plan so smoke it for 2 hrs, then crank it up to 350 until it hits 165-170*'s internally.

I wanted to try a full bird, but it's too much for us and my little Traeger is probably too small. I need to upgrade soon!

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Cajun rub plus maple syrup? That doesn't sound like it would work, but please report back.

My goto is still roasting. Rubdown with oil, then sage/salt/pepper, stuffed with sausage/onion/celery dressing. Om nom nom.

Jesser04

It probably won’t work... it’s what was in the fridge and I’m not eating it. I don’t think it will ad much flavor will see. Like I said I’m going for best or worst.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I am smoking my first turkey this year. Butter and salt rub sliced up lemons and rosemary inside. We will see.....

Also, is that spot you have the thermometer in the recommended spot?

Jesser04

I am smoking my first turkey this year. Butter and salt rub sliced up lemons and rosemary inside. We will see.....

Also, is that spot you have the thermometer in the recommended spot?

Yeah that will work and when it gets close I move it couple times to make sure it’s done. Neighbor just call now I got one more to do just fired up the traeger she wants it at 3:30 so probably do it at 325.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The best I've ever done was with the following steps:

1. Spackcock the bird,
2. Brine in a mix of water, ice cubes, salt, and seasoning for 24 hours
3. Before smoking, mix softened butter with more seasoning (I like McCormick maple smokehouse) and rub it between the skin and meat all over
4. Smoke for 3 hrs on smoke, then medium until done

That has turned out the best results I've ever made.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
And it’s off to its new home. I’ll report back on the taste review.

giphy.gif