Turning brake rotors

Tebbsjeep

Not 4x4 related, but is there anyone who can actually turn brake rotors correctly anymore? Looking for somebody near Ogden that can do two rotors for me tomorrow. They just have a slight warp to them. The thickness is still good on them. The last time I had a parts store try, they completely ruined them. I'm pretty sure they had no idea how to do it.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
Are you sure they're warped? That's normally just brake pad deposits. I haven't had to have a rotor turned in years since I learned to take a scotch pad to them.

Tebbsjeep

I'm pretty sure they are warped. The car will shake like mad when you really get on the brakes, and at slow speeds you can feel them grab harder in spots. It will get new pads as well, I have a warranty on them.

Tebbsjeep

Huh, you learn something every day. Thanks for that article. I'll try hitting the rotors with a scotch brite pad with my drill, put new pads on, and go through the bedding process. We'll see if that helps.

4x4_Welder

I keep seeing that white paper pop up, i don't know if I buy it. I've had new out of the box rotors cause a shake, pull them and turn about .010" of warp out, and no more shake. Plus the rotors in my Explorer are obviously warped, there's a crescent shaped area that the pads aren't touching.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I think quality control on modern rotors leave something to be desired, especially the cheaper store brands. That said, I have eliminated shake or pulsing by using scotch bright at least 4 or 5 times in the last 5-6 years. Just another tool in the kit.