Turning my tow rig into an expedition camper

Our old camper was destroyed when one of the jacks failed. So we stripped it of all the appliances, and goods on the interior and planned to build a tough off- road camper that would take a beating and be more roomy than a traditional slide in camper. I also wanted the camper to be removable so that the truck can be used for other things.

I have to get this camper all put together before Easter Jeep Safari. So I have only a few weeks. This truck tows a trailer with our Dodge T-Rex 6x6, or pulls our Jeep behind it. The Truck is a GMC 5500 4x4. I first built a custom winch bumper for it and put in new exhaust.

Now I took it up to my buddy's shop in Idaho: Casper Customs. Cory the owner builds ultimate 4x4's and extreme rock buggies. You may have seen some of his work in TTC.

Well, this would be the first camper for Cory and I. But I new that we could do it.

First i built a winch bumper for the truck. Here is the truck as Cory's shop in Idaho.

38654904054_large.jpg

Next we laid out the fram as I had designed it.

38654904003_large.jpg

Here is Cory starting to weld up the frame.

38654904005_large.jpg

Here is the frame coming together:

38654904008_large.jpg

Now piecing and cross memebers:

38654904010_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

muleskinner

Great job! Are you worried about the jacks snagging trees or rocks? Maybe some type of receiver mount for the jacks to make them removable? Looks killer so far.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
I have been meaning to do a very similar build on my trailer. I even started a thread about it a long time ago, but because of my rampant case of ADHHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Hobby Disorder) I can't get any of them done. :D

I am going to do a very similar shape and design to yours. I was considering trying to do a slideout that lengthens the living quarters as opposed to widening them. We want to fit 2 rigs and small living quarters on our trailer, if we could make it longer when the rigs are off, it would help a ton for comfort.

Here is a paint shot of what i'm thinking. I have 8 feet on the upper and almost 9 feet on the bottom with my buggy and the wife's 4-runner on it. I think we could add a slideout that would give us another 4 feet.

It has been dove tailed since this paint shot was made so its 7 feet longer now.

Attachments

• crawler hauler.jpg
    crawler hauler.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 65

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Yes there are going to be window and no the JW's are not invited, I would not want them to eat my two years supply.:rofl:

The Jack do come off with ease so we can do some mild wheeling in it, but Pritchett and Hell's Revenge is out of the question.

I just got back from the camper store with some plumbing stuff air vents, and solar panel . Wow it is expensive.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Here are the next steps

Here is my wife Shawnette Cutting up the flooring .

38654904062_large.jpg

38654904063_large.jpg

38654904063_large.jpg

38654904061_large.jpg

Shawnette cutting the steel for the window frames.

Now the Skylight vents

38654904064_large.jpg

38654904065_large.jpg

38654904066_large.jpg

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6

Yeah.... You are the expert finish carpenter who is going to help us with the interior, knowing your work it will be asewsome. My interior Designor wife laid out the most optimal floor plan, I have been simplifying the utilities, and with all that I think it will be simple yet totally functional. I cant wait. I run the wiring tomorrow and hope to have the interior paneling up by Wednesday.:-\