Turning my tow rig into an expedition camper

Our old camper was destroyed when one of the jacks failed. So we stripped it of all the appliances, and goods on the interior and planned to build a tough off- road camper that would take a beating and be more roomy than a traditional slide in camper. I also wanted the camper to be removable so that the truck can be used for other things.

I have to get this camper all put together before Easter Jeep Safari. So I have only a few weeks. This truck tows a trailer with our Dodge T-Rex 6x6, or pulls our Jeep behind it. The Truck is a GMC 5500 4x4. I first built a custom winch bumper for it and put in new exhaust.

Now I took it up to my buddy's shop in Idaho: Casper Customs. Cory the owner builds ultimate 4x4's and extreme rock buggies. You may have seen some of his work in TTC.

Well, this would be the first camper for Cory and I. But I new that we could do it.

First i built a winch bumper for the truck. Here is the truck as Cory's shop in Idaho.

38654904054_large.jpg

Next we laid out the fram as I had designed it.

38654904003_large.jpg

Here is Cory starting to weld up the frame.

38654904005_large.jpg

Here is the frame coming together:

38654904008_large.jpg

Now piecing and cross memebers:

38654904010_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LT.

I might just do it. Your builds continue to amaze me in just about every way. I really like the idea of making it removable because I use my trailer for other things than just a camper/four wheeling. As was the case last Friday when I used it to haul all those pavers. How much do the jacks lift? What is the weight capacity of them? Do you think it would be able to lift a 13' box with a 6' over hang? I think it would be about 7' from the bottom of the box to the roof of maybe even 7' 6". Also, have you thought about making a slide out on it by chance? I wonder what would be involved in doing a slide out. Hmmmmm..........

LT.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
his jacks capacity are 2000 lbs. each. We could always do 6 jacks!

The slide out would be tricky. Doable Im sure but just tricky to get it sealed

LT.

I just measured what I have available on the trailer. 15' long, 8' 6" wide and I would be able to go 7' 6" or even 8' high. I also will need about 51" high to clear the goose neck and I can go an easy 6' over the neck without covering the adjustment on the hitch. But, the 15' would be about max for the length. I could squeeze 16' but, I would like to have some room for adjustment for the truck. I might want to slim it down to 14' in length just to make sure I have enough room for a different vehicle, you know, I can't make up my mind.

LT.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Ours is 8 feet tall, clears the headache rack at 54 inches, has a 6 foot overhang with a 3 and a half heigth in the cabover sleep area. It is 7ft 6 in wide and the lower box is 10 feet long. It is big. We were working on the floor insulation and the carpet tonight.

I am checking for gas leaks now and I have two....Dang.... I guess I will have to use the LP tape.

Urithane coating on the stain is complete. Shawnette just finished the cushions and the mattress is in.

It looks nice.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
I just measured what I have available on the trailer. 15' long, 8' 6" wide and I would be able to go 7' 6" or even 8' high. I also will need about 51" high to clear the goose neck and I can go an easy 6' over the neck without covering the adjustment on the hitch. But, the 15' would be about max for the length. I could squeeze 16' but, I would like to have some room for adjustment for the truck. I might want to slim it down to 14' in length just to make sure I have enough room for a different vehicle, you know, I can't make up my mind.

LT.

Here is a thread on Pirate about building a camper with a slide out. The slide out looks pretty complex and could be troublesome. I would keep it simple.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933305&page=7

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Getting close.

Now the insuliation for the floor

38654904109_large.jpg

Now the carpet

38654904108_large.jpg

Finished cabinet varnish, sealed, carpet, trim, and furniture....Shawnette worked hard to get this far.

38654904111_large.jpg

38654904110_large.jpg

38654904107_large.jpg

38654904117_large.jpg

38654904115_large.jpg

38654904114_large.jpg

38654904113_large.jpg

38654904112_large.jpg

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
It is DONE!!!!! Tool boxes on the underside, built a spare tire carrier, fuel tanks, Fuel cooler, Tranny upgrades, soloar panel on the roof, and complete interior.
Just in time for Easter Jeep Safari, WE leave tomorrow!!!!!!!

38654904118_large.jpg

38654904119_large.jpg

38654904120_large.jpg

38654904121_large.jpg

38654904122_large.jpg

38654904123_large.jpg

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Nice! So I wanna know how much you put $$$ into this? If you were to buy it from an rv dealer it would probably be in the $50 k range since the ones they sell are $35k and are made of wood.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Looks excellent Stan! Everything looks great. The tool boxes are a perfect fit, the spare tire looks sweet!

I hope you snap some pics with the TREX on the trailer behind it.

Travel safe! If you have any issues, give me a call

Caleb

Nice! So I wanna know how much you put $$$ into this? If you were to buy it from an rv dealer it would probably be in the $50 k range since the ones they sell are $35k and are made of wood.
For a slide-in? A slide-in like that wouldn't run anywhere near $50K...not even $35K. A Fully loaded, with slide-out, a/c, etc...everything will run you around $25K from a dealer.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
This turned out AWESOME!!! I knew you would do good work, but WOW! This totally blows me away and I can't wait to see it this week!!!
I have to ask... I was looking close at the pictures and saw the "USLLC Mobile Command Unit". What does the USLLC stand for?? :)
Hope you guys have a safe trip down and I'm really looking forwRd to seeing you all!!
If you could.. Would you mind giving me a call on your way so I can chat with you about this week and trails, etc??? Just any time that is convenient for you guys! :).
Talk to you, and see you soon!!!
- Matt

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
Message from Moab. Camper is working great, warm, dry, and well insulated from the wind and storms we have had down here. Everything working perfect. We saw a custom camper here in moab for sale built on a Kiaser. They want $119,000 for it.

When I looked into these expedition campers the range in price for $70,000 to $150,000 with the Unimog included. Just regular Slide in P-up campers( made of wood and fiberglass) sell new for $20,000 to $24,000. There is a new trailer version here for sale at $70,000, and There is this Land rover expedition camper(much smaller than ours) for $50,000. Our cost so far $5200.:rofl:

Thanks to Cory at Casper Customs for letting us use his shop and for helping to build the box. thanks to Cheston for the cabinetry work. This thing turned out awesome!! I highly recommend this to everyone who wants a camper that will last a long time.

More pictures to follow.

sprueitt

sprueitt Dodge T-Rex 6x6
This turned out AWESOME!!! I knew you would do good work, but WOW! This totally blows me away and I can't wait to see it this week!!!
I have to ask... I was looking close at the pictures and saw the "USLLC Mobile Command Unit". What does the USLLC stand for?? :)
Hope you guys have a safe trip down and I'm really looking forwRd to seeing you all!!
If you could.. Would you mind giving me a call on your way so I can chat with you about this week and trails, etc??? Just any time that is convenient for you guys! :).
Talk to you, and see you soon!!!
- Matt

Tax write off.... make it a company vehicle. USLLC is our Tactical martial arts company. You know paintball outfitting, training, scenarios, Hand to hand combat seminars, ... etc..
Urban Survivors Limited Liability Corporation- USLLC.