TY-J already built thread

Cascadia

Undecided
Calling it the TY-J because my name is Tyson but everyone calls me Ty. And it is obviously a YJ. Put em together and that's what you get.

1991 YJ with the 2.5 and AX5
231/dana 300 doubler with triple stick cable shifters (that means front and rear digs in high and low with a super low t case ratio of 7.12:1
Front axle is a 1994 Ford ball joint 60 with 35 spline chromo outers and 35 spline yukon drive slugs with a spartan locker and 5.13 gears
Full hydraulic steering with a PSC orbital valve and trail-gear double ended ram
Rear axle is a 14 bolt with 5.13 gears and a yukon grizzly locker
Four linked front and rear sitting on 2.5"x 14" fox air shocks
Lowest spot on the frame is 21.5" and wheelbase is 109"
Full DOM cage with frame chopped off at the bend and tube frame welded in
5 point harnesses and Corbeau seats in the front
40" Goodyear MTR Stickies on H2 wheels
Dovetailed rear tub
RCI Fuel cell
T max winch mounted behind the grill
Grill is also raked back about 10 degrees

This is the most stable rig I have ever been in. It's my first rig with harnesses and that makes you feel even more stable. I don't have many plans for it because it flat out works how it is. The few things I plan on doing are:

Add the rear Corbeau bench seat
Extend the cage back for a rear passenger or passengers and also a harness bar behind the seat
Install the custom 7075 aluminum tie rods that Ryan made for it
Maybe do some 3/16'' skins for the tub and rockers but there is already damage so maybe not.
Rear disc brake swap on the 14 bolt

BUY A TRAILER (otherwise it'll never get used)

photo 4.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
In the first picture the back tire is on a dirt pile that is about 48" tall. Like I said, it's stable.

I have already cut and drilled some angle and drilled it for seat mounts. The seat tabs are welded to the angle and the angle is bolted through the floor. It felt good to be back working on a rig. Although it was something minor.

There is a leak coming from one of the lines going in to the orbital that I need to hopefully just get tightened up. Hopefully that's all it is.

I also learned how to use the triple sticks better today to be able to do front digs. It didn't come with a manual. :eek:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Very cool Tyson, that's a neat rig! It'll be fun to see you get out and use it on the trail... Helldorado is calling your name! :greg:

Cascadia

Undecided
This is how she sits
photo 4-1.JPG
Here is the rear seat I installed. I am 6'1" and I fit comfortable in the middle with my feet behind the shifters
photo 2-1.JPG
And here is what the shifters look like setup.
photo 1-1.JPG

Cascadia

Undecided
Very cool Tyson, that's a neat rig! It'll be fun to see you get out and use it on the trail... Helldorado is calling your name! :greg:
Thanks Greg. I look forward to getting out a lot this year. Just need more guys to go with on out of town trips. I'd like to get to Moab at least 3-4 times this year and St. George 10ish times since we have a place there, and local trails too obviously.

I've never done anything hardcore before which could leave me stranded but I hope to push my limits and the TY-J's limits.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I love the stance of this rig! Excited to get out with you, probably no out of town trips this year (posting from AF hospital lol)

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Awesome! Congrats Ben! You need to get that spun axle tube fixed. You're so close to snakes you can get away.

I do need to get it fixed. I have Tues and Wed. off next week, if everything stays quiet I'll tear into it then.

Wow, already? Congrats Ben (& Kami)!!

TMI for a mostly dude's forum, 34 weeks and had a lot of bleeding Friday night. Regular contractions but not dilating. We should be home tomorrow.

Caleb

Congrats Tyson. When he posted it I was tempted with this jeep, love the look/stance of this rig. You should have fun with this one.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
TMI for a mostly dude's forum, 34 weeks and had a lot of bleeding Friday night. Regular contractions but not dilating. We should be home tomorrow.

Gotcha, best of luck. Hope everything else goes smoothly from here on out. You're going to be a busy man soon enough!

Bart

I wheeled with Ryan in that rig at Sand Hollow and was very impressed with it. I tried to work a deal on it but we couldn't make it happen. Good luck on the build and enjoy.