Ultimate goal?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
What exactly is the ultimate goal in rock crawling as far as the vehicle is concerned? Is it to modify a vehicle we already have? Or is it to find a vehicle alredy half built and modify it to our needs? Greg has mentioned that his goal is to keep his as a daily driver yet remain capable of hard core trails. I would like to build a buggy that is cheap, strong, reliable, very good parts availability, and look half decent. What platform would you start with? and before you answer... read the requirements. This is my entry... a chev blazer. You can get these running for under 700 bucks, just toss in tires and 60's and 200 bucks in tube and your done as far as drivetrain is concerned. What are the drawbacks to Blazers you say? Weight, size. How about cutting off the entire body save the firewall with the wiring and steering column? you would lose a lot of weight and size, yet still have a good platform to tube out.

thornhill

I say cut the thing up. If the owner's not interested in hauling anyone around or going on longer trail rides during the colder times of the year. CUT IT.

Another thing Jeremy, I'm thinking of putting leaf springs on the front of the TJ. I'm pretty sure I'd have to move the steering box but that's no big deal. I'm thinking waggy leafs right now. What do you think?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE AND STEP AWAY FROM THE TJ!!!!!!! Don't do it man. What do you need to finish? I will help, but don't go leaves. That offer to trade for my jeep still good?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I agree with the idea of a Blazer, 60's would nearly bolt in. Gear the pumpkins deep, loose all the sheetmetal, run some quality leafs and slap on a set of 40's! It would be wide, but beefy!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How about that Green one?! :D

Its way cool, but that Frontend could be done a bit diffrent. I thought it would be cool if you could chop down a factory Grill with the headlights in it and make it work on the front.

Attachments

• dwayne1.jpg
    dwayne1.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 31

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Yeah, I agree on the front end. Maybe something like to scorpion also. If you look close you can see the front springs, I guess waggy's?