Ultra 80 Buggy Build

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Okay so things have been moving fast on this, we have built it all in the last two days, so the first post will be catch up.

As some of you may know i sold all the parts i didn't need off my 4runner buggy and scrapped the chassis. The 4runner buggy was getting to the point where it needed a major over haul on the front suspension and a new motor/transfer case combo. It just so happens that i have a customer who gave me a FZJ 80 land cruiser, that was gutted entirely inside, no doors, windshield, hatch or drive train, just the body, frame, suspension and axles. The thing had been rolled so the roof and other areas were messed up, so i cut off the body and unbolted the front clip and just left the fire wall.
I figured that a Fzj80 based buggy would be sweet and i kept the fire wall so i still had the pedal and steering set up, as well as i don't have to build a firewall. Okay so my goal was to have this built for the lucas oil race today out at miller but that didn't happen because i made the stupid mistake of not buying enough tube to finish the chassis.

Any ways so here are the plans: The rear i have redone with ADS 2.125 piggyback res 14inch travel airshocks, 4 inch travel 2.5 ADS hydro bump stops, i plan to redo the links and make it a triangluated upper 4 link and a limit strap in the back, the front suspension is going to stay stock with 12 inch travel 2.5 ADS remote res smooth body shocks and 3 inch travel 2.5 ADS hydro bump stops, Motor is out of a 1991 SC400 4.0L lexus V8 with the stock tranny behinde it and the inch worm gear adapter to a toyota gear driven case, I have a built gear driven case with marlins chromoly compeition 4.7 gears and trail-gear twin sticks, PRP seats and seat belts, grant steering wheel, hydro assit, front axle will be 4.88's with a TJM airlocker and chromoly shafts, eventually a ruff stuff housing, rear axle will have 4.88's and a TJM airlocker with chromoly shafts and eventually a ruff stuff housing and oviously a custom mitered tube chassis.

I bobbed 4 feet or so off the back of the frame and 6 inches off the front other than that the frame is stock and as of now for the next week or so the axles are staying stock as is the front and rear suspension, until i hear back about my gear and axle sponsership. i have the adapter i need coming in the mail, and i have all the shocks and bumps already. Okay here are some pics i will get some before pics that my wife took up later

Last edited:

iamsparticus

stayed up till 2:30am working on it last night, motor is in the rear suspension is done temp trans cross member is done, about 1/3 of the chassis is built, and the battery and fuel cell are mounted, still have alot to do but it will be done soon

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Since this will have less than 60% of the factory sheet metal will it still be able to run legends at OSRC?

iamsparticus

The miter joints are just the style I wanted to go with I spent some time with the designer and builder of live fast play dirty shop he builds all of there ultra lite and pro cars entirly with miter joints the point is to tie as many joints point to each other it makes a very strong chassis and is easy to make panels and exterior mounting items. Its the ultra 80 buggy because its a ultra 4 style buggy basedon a fj80