Ultra compact sleeping bag suggestions

Houndoc

Family is headed to Africa next month on a camping safari. Will be midsummer in southern Africa, so temps should be mild.

But space is very limited, 1 duffle each, and need to provide own sleeping bags.

Any suggestions on a very compact 2 season sleeping bag? Cheap would be a huge plus.

xjtony

Dicks down in AF had some Keltys that were surprisingly small when packed. I want to say they were around $50

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Caleb

For me, a sleeping blanket would be ideal. I currently have a Thermarest Tech blanket and it's perfect. Super light, plenty warm, and packs really small.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Costco has down blankets for 19.99 right now that would be big enough to sleep under and they are light and compact. I plan to cut mine up and sew it into a super cheap backpacking quilt.

Houndoc

I am thinking we should be 50s at coldest over night. Much of it will be desert so likely to cool a bit.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have a couple of those Costco quilts, they'd be plenty warm enough at 50 if the quilt is big enough. The quilt alone is not long enough for me.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
There is a DIY page somewhere on the internet that shows how to cut a strip off one side and see it to the bottom to make a foot box. Super cool stuff.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I have a couple of super cheap bags from rec outlet. They work great for what they are.