Ultrasonic Cleaners.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Let's talk ultrasonic cleaners.
Who has one? Who uses one?
I've been wanting one for a while to try to avoid all the harsh cleaning chemicals I use almost daily.

I got a 3 L and I should have got a 5L.
IMG_20190523_110008.jpg

Self heating is must. Mine got to 64°C in 99 minutes of timer.

I did two carbs experimenting today
I turned some aluminium black using degreaser mix. It's kind of a cool look in person. (Looks like black anodizing). But I probably won't use that again on AL. It did make the brass look amazing.
IMG_20190523_155321.jpg

Simple Green mix seems to be pH neutral enough to use on AL with no oxidizing effect.
IMG_20190523_155621.jpg
IMG_20190523_183444.jpg
Also they are kinda loud and make a high pitched whine that pisses off dogs. But you can't really hear it behind a closed door.

Last edited:

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Be very careful! We used them at work with solvents for years. Last year one basically exploded and burned the operator and the room badly. These units were XP (explosion) rated to be used with solvents.

The seals wore out. Solvents go into the machine and chaos happened. I’d go with simple green over anything flammable.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Amazon. Maybe 100ish bucks. I'd like to get the 6L. I'd sell it for like $70 so I can upgrade to the larger one- if anyone is interested.
I'm pretty impressed. I did a plastic carb boot and radiator hoses that are notoriously difficult to get dirt stains out and they look brand new

gatchmo5710

Just retired my harbor freight one. Worked it hard for almost 2 years. Heating element just broke. Would buy again.... but i didnt.... I use to agressive of chemicals and theirs has too much plastric on that model. Bought a kendall 5L. Will see if it is worth the extra money.

If your serious about cleaning. You need to buy Sonicor cleaners. 1000 bucks is entry level.

gatchmo5710

Yeah, when I worked at Hill, a guy stuck his hand in, it was severely black and blue a few hours later...really screwed him up

I did dip my fingers in shortly on a harbor freight unit. No problems :) but i imidiatelyt thought what terrible risk/reward decision hahahaah

Caleb

Depends on how strong of a unit as to the affect of dipping your hands. For every story you hear of someone having issues, you'll find 20 old timers that use the ultrasonic tank to clean their hands. In fact, I've only heard of two stories of someone having an issue, one is the above shared by astjp2 and the other was on a jewelry forum and it was someone's cousin's friends roommate and they were doing something with geological cleaning rocks in a universities high powered tank and they were reaching all the way in fishing out the rocks by hand to save time. I'm not recommending you go dip your hands in, but I am saying that it won't be instant issues especially in these smaller tanks.