United Team Motorsports #4465 Wendover 200 Recap

TEAM FRED

Bonneville Offroad Wendover 200

Off the line and running strong things were smooth. At about mile 15 we pulled off to let a faster car pass, then tried to play keep up. Things were good until the dust really got bad.
At mile marker 25ish I pulled off course and started another race. This race involved tearing off gloves, helmet, harnesses, and my window net before loosing most of the night’s dinner and all of my breakfast.
Once back on course we set a new speed record for my old Bronco 72.4 MPH!
Things were smooth again right until the short course section coming into the pits where we hit a rock or hole that ripped the wheel from my hands, it felt like I had blown a tire. As we pulled into the pit our team reported fluid pouring out from under the hood. We found the fluid coming from the steering pump housing. A new O-ring was installed and fluids topped off we headed out for lap 2.

Lap 2 was fast until we clipped a rock that knocked the yoke off of the rear end. Quick stop to remove the rear driveline and we were moving again. Ten miles later the front yoke on the T-case lets loose. At this point we push the rig off the course and start thinking how to fix the car.
We were able to take the slip yoke from the front driveline and put it on the rear. Only problem is the front runs a 1310 joint and the rear runs a 1350. With the help of some 3/8 washers and a bunch of bailing wire we are running again. Against all odds we run 30 miles back to the pit. In the pit we installed the correct rear driveline and headed out on Lap 3 in 2 wheel drive.
Did I mention there was a lot of dust and silt? About 10 miles into lap 3 I notice a decrease in power. By mile 25 the motor will only run to about 4000 RPMs. We pull over and open the hood. I find the air cleaner about half of its regular height. After cleaning it up we finished the lap and decided to call the race with only 10 minutes left to head out on the final lap. Wendover got us this time but we will be back!

I owe a huge thanks to everyone who helped out at this event.

Dan Taylor, Brandon Lamb, Mitch Beck, Kip Edwards, and the VLS Crew for their help in the pits

Please take time to look at our sponsors products and support the people that support our team.

Bloody Knuckle Garage
Midnight 4x4
F-O-A Shocks
Complete Offroad
Zamp Helmets
Teraflex

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Was your filter clogged and collapsed from the vacuum, or did you get a bunch of silt into the engine?

EB101

I'm a little surprised you gave up so easily! Kidding of course. Would love to have been there to cheer you on.

sibeta

Hey Carl sorry I never responded to this. We moved to Phoenix back in 2013. I oversaw the medical research dept. at Phoenix Childrens hospital. We have since moved to St. George.

UFAB

Damn

You are a motivated man.

Only Carl would say "we will finish"

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2