Upper "Little Wild Horse Wash"

RedRubicon

:confused:There is an area called upper "Little Wild Horse Wash" in the "behind the reef" in the Temple Mountain area. A friend of mine Marline drove it in 2001. I'm not sure what the condition is or if it is even passable now. It might have been closed. Not many people know about it but I was wondering if anyone has done this trail in the last year or so. If so I was wondering what trail conditions are and what you thought about it. Please let me know thank you.:confused:

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I hiked Little Wild Horse Canyon in December, but it's a slot canyon, hiking only. There was a road behind the slot canyons that we were hiking in. I took note of the road, it looked like fun. There were recent ATV tracks & the road looked like it had seen 4x4 use before winter had hit.

Is this road kind of close to Goblin Valley?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The Behind the Reef Road is somewhat nasty right at its north end, from there it isn't bad all the way to the Upper Little Wild Horse Mesa Trail.

RedRubicon

To the first reply. This is the same road, you saw the behind the reef road on your hike. The wash that ends up going through Little Wild Horse Narrows. We drive the wash before it does. But I'm not sure if it's still open. It may be closed according to "Emergency Order" instated a few years ago. If you call the BLM you only get mixed messages. The only way to know is to go and check it out in person or know someone who has. When Marlin drove the wash in 2001, he met Jo Swazy's Great Great Grandson. In reply to the second reply when was it that you did the trail? I`m president of the Lone Peak 4 Wheelers and we are trying to possibly do this trail next month so anymore information that people could give me, or if anyone would like to volunteer to lead the trail that would be awesome.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
We started into the trail two weeks ago... I made it through the beginning of the trail, but the other rig in our group was a big heavy full-size, he was having a hard time keeping his door off the rocks so we turned back.

Re: the trail legality. The BLM should have zero problem telling you. Look at the latest Travel Map, if its not on the map, its not open, pretty simple. The local OHV & 4x4 groups worked with the counties and BLM to develop the new map (2006), its up to date and everything is current with their latest RMP revisions. If your getting mixed signals from a BLM person re the legality, your talking to the wrong person ;)

I have some extra copies of the latest travel plan if you want to swing by Sandy ahead of time.

RedRubicon

I live down in Provo and dont make it up that direction often so I will have to grab a map from the BLM, thanks for the offer. The Lone Peak 4 Wheelers and I plan on going down on April 12th to do Upper "Little Wild Horse", we have not yet set a meeting location or time on that day as of yet. We have a club meeting for the Lone Peak 4 Wheelers on April 10th ant 6:30pm at Lindon Veterans Building at Lindon City Park 135 West 200 North, Lindon, Utah. We should have a meeting time and location set up for that Saturday by then. If you would like to come along let me know. We also have a meeting this Thursday March 13th at 6:30pm at Lindon Veterans Building at Lindon City Park 135 West 200 North, Lindon, Utah. We are planning on doing the Rattle Snake trail on March 15th this Saturday. We are meeting at the Smiths in Saratoga Springs. To get their just head west on Main street in Lehi and you will hit it if you haven't already been their. We will be meeting in the parking lot at 8:30am and leaving right at 9:00am. We are planning on trying to do some geocaching along the trail. If you guys would like to come to any over are meetings or trail rides let me know or fill free to show up.
Thanks Nick:)

I might see you out at the snakes, I was planning on going out for the inaugeral run of the Green.

If you have any members in the SL area, I can give them a couple copies of the map...or have them pic them up at the Price Field office on their way to Jeep Safari. If I see Marlin or any of your guys in Moab, I'll give them some.

Brett (been a psuedo member of LP4W for years)

RedRubicon

Thankyou their are a couple of members that are up in the Salt Lake Area Ill talk to them at the meeting and see if one of them can run by. Thanks Again:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Not sure how this will turnout, but here is a photo of the lastest map, disregard the highlighter, that was our route a couple weekends ago :D

Tan solid lines are county roads: 4x4's OK
Black lines are BLM roads: 4x4's OK
Red lines are hiking trails: No motorized
Black/white dashed lines are ATV only: No 4x4s, width restrictions

Attachments

• SWELL (Large).jpg
    SWELL (Large).jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 28