UROC Question

skulltoy

Trailer's Rockin!
I saw in the application for the 2003 season it asks you for your insurance info. Is insurance required, I didn't see it in the rules? If so what kind of insurance is needed? How are you guys with non-titled buggies getting insurance? Or is this not for vehicle insurance, but instead health insurance?

Thanks,
Jason

Ryan

Originally posted by skulltoy
I saw in the application for the 2003 season it asks you for your insurance info. Is insurance required, I didn't see it in the rules? If so what kind of insurance is needed? How are you guys with non-titled buggies getting insurance? Or is this not for vehicle insurance, but instead health insurance?

Thanks,
Jason

I'm sure Mike will chime in with the official answer;), but maybe this will hold you over until then.

It's auto, not health. As to how everybody get's insurance(or at least a policy number)-----weeelllllllllll, that seems kinda like a 'gays in the military' kinda thing to me(don't ask, don't tell). I'm not sure, but I would imagine the whole insurance thing is driven by land use permit requirements or event insurance requirements or something like that. I'd like to see ANYBODY actually file a claim with thier insurance company when they damage thier vehicle during competition, LOL.

Anyway...

You gonna compete?

Ryan

Originally posted by Ryan

You gonna compete?

Just checked out your build-up thread on your site. Nice pile o' parts:D My vehicle has always been stock frame with a title, and I used to drive it on the street, so I've had an existing insurance policy on it. Not sure about how to insure a tube chassis.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm sure that they are refering to comprhensive and liability insurace on the vehicle itself, not the driver. This would make more sense as far as a competion organizers would see it.

You can get insurace on your rigs by registering them as an OHV, most state parks, BLM land, Forest Service etc actually require that a vehicle either be licensed for road use or registered as an OHV. You can get with the DMV and get an OHV tag for you rig fairly easily, they just issue it a VIN number.

From there you can get insurance on OHV's it is the same as registering you four-wheeler or dirt-bike, most don't but it is possibly. IMHO

Andy

aka. Hollywood
I've had a talk with my insurance guy about this and he said he wasn't going to tell his adjuster and that it should be ok liability. The insurance is there to protect you from getting sued, if you take out a spectator. I have heard horror stories of people getting hurt by flying parts or getting run over, and the shyster lawyers going after every sponsor/person involved with the viehicle, so it's a good thing.

skulltoy

Trailer's Rockin!
Thanks Guys!

Any official answer?

Just a side note, the parts you seen on my site are for Aarons buggy, I'm just gonna be the guy dragging it around by the rope!

fergusor

Originally posted by Andy
I've had a talk with my insurance guy about this and he said he wasn't going to tell his adjuster and that it should be ok liability. The insurance is there to protect you from getting sued, if you take out a spectator. I have heard horror stories of people getting hurt by flying parts or getting run over, and the shyster lawyers going after every sponsor/person involved with the viehicle, so it's a good thing.

I would have your agent go over your liability exclusions with you and also for him to say they should be ok wont stand in court. In the liability exclusions A4 any vehicle, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of : competing in: or practicing or preparing for any prearranged or organized racing of speed contest is excluded from liability coverage. Since it is a timed event makes it a race. I have been calling the of the insurance company underwriters that I sell insurance for trying to find out if I will be covered when I compete. On getting insurance for an OHV, I called a company that deals with offroad-vehicles and he said that it basicly had to be a very modified truck,jeep ect... into almost a buggy to even write it. Tube buggy he said would be no problem until the competing thing came up and then he said he wouldnt write it because any type of competing is excluded.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by fergusor

I would have your agent go over your liability exclusions with you and also for him to say they should be ok wont stand in court. In the liability exclusions A4 any vehicle, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of : competing in: or practicing or preparing for any prearranged or organized racing of speed contest is excluded from liability coverage. Since it is a timed event makes it a race. I have been calling the of the insurance company underwriters that I sell insurance for trying to find out if I will be covered when I compete. On getting insurance for an OHV, I called a company that deals with offroad-vehicles and he said that it basicly had to be a very modified truck,jeep ect... into almost a buggy to even write it. Tube buggy he said would be no problem until the competing thing came up and then he said he wouldnt write it because any type of competing is excluded.

So what is the right way? If you know?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
UROC rules say you have to have liability insurance. However, I assume that if I run over someone, or roll onto someone's car there's no way in hell my insurance is gonna cover it. That's why I won't run a course if there is something in the way. I will tell the judge to move whatever may get in the way before I will go. Curt Hilderbrand rolled off a course in Cedar City and damn near wiped out a parked car that some dumbass parked too close to the spot that everyone was rolling over on. I told the judge I wouldn't run the obstacle until the car was moved cuz there is no way in hell I was gonna pay to fix the dude's car after I destroy it.

grinch

inner city redneck
That was one heck of a cool roll over. Anybody who can roll land on his tires and still finish the course in time is a lucky son of a b%^#!. Me and Steve didnt even make it up that first hill. Broke the front and rear Axles like a bunch of morons....... I still swear 14 bolts are not supposed to break its just not right!!!!!!!

skulltoy

Trailer's Rockin!
Doesn't make since to me if none of the insurance companys will write insurance for a competition vehicle, why does the competition require insurance?

And how has everyone that has been competing getting away with it?

Ryan

Doesn't make since to me if none of the insurance companys will write insurance for a competition vehicle, why does the competition require insurance?

And how has everyone that has been competing getting away with it?

That's what I meant by the 'gays in the military' comment above. Just put a policy number on your application and nobody will question it. My geuss is that's what 90% of the competitors do, at least in Unlimited. A lot of the Legend guys probably have legitimate insurance, as a lot of them drive thier vehicles on the street. I've always had a legitimate insurance policy on my vehicle, except the last time I competed. I guess my wife had cancelled the policy just previous to the comptetition.

It's kind of a catch 22 that nobody has really questioned to the extent that it needs to be questioned.

I never really thought of it in the light you mentioned above---it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that you have to have insurance.

Have you e-mailed Mike Mills and asked him about it?

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser

Thanks,
Jason

Liability insurance is required on all competing vehicles.