used car nightmare

NW-sickboy

so.. first off i figure with the wealth of knowledge on here i could get some decent advice...

here it is... MY GF of 3 years bought a used 95 VW jetta about a year ago through a dealer/idividual. not sure on that part. we have been dealing with the individual mostly. anyways she went to go get the emisions done in september and everywhere she goes says they cant do it saying that it wont show up on thier systems (the emisions part). so after going to 9 places she finally goes to VW dealership and she finds out that the car has been imported from canada and is not set up to have the emisions tests done. SO she contacts the county she lives in (not sure but she lives in north ogden) and they have been giving here temp permits till it gets figured out. We contacted the guy she bought it from and he says its not his fault. He is trying to pawn it off on the guy that passed it.he is saying he is going to get her a new car. its been a few months and she still has the car and the county wont give her anymore permits.....

so she has a few issues.

1) she cant sell it. so he has said he will take it back as a trade in for a new one but doesnt want to give her even close to market value. (market value being a car like hers that emisions works)

2) the car works great and i have helped fix alot of small things but now may need a wheel bearing replaced. her permit is expired and she cant drive it. but doesnt really want to put money into it when she is just trying to get rid of it.

3) she is picky about the replacement car. she want another jetta and color and auto blah blah blay.

she does have some leverage though because the county or state guy that is helping her has said that the person that sold her the car is in jeopardy of being fined and/or losing his dealers license...

so... what would you do...

the dealership/individual that she got her car from is offering a trade in but its super low and then offering to get her a replacement but has yet to find one that fits her criteria. yet i have found like 6 on autotrader that are perfect.

I really feel like this guy is taking advantage of her and want to make sure she is taken care of.....

I hope this makes sense. thanks for reading al of this and any input you have is greatly appreciated.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
GET

A

LAWYER

Not sure but I think cars sold here have to be legal here, ie you have to be able to do emissions etc etc..

or you can register it in another county heheh but I'd get a lawyer and just ream that guy, I have a feeling he knew what he was up to, and is really digging putting the screws to you. Hell, GET GEPHARDT!!

my $.02. And yes, it's fawking late and we should all be sleeping. :eek:

NW-sickboy

I definetly think this guy new what he was doing. All these dealers have "a guy" who does there emisions and they get deals cause all cars before they are sold have to pass "safety and emisions" so he had to know.....

lawyers cost money.....

registering it in another county is fine but if she wants to sell it in a year she is screwing someone else then its her problem. she really needs to get rid of it.

Jeeptj1998

onetuff76 said:
call the BBB, and why can't it pass emissions here if its from canada?

it can it just needs a new title/vin given to it. My bro-in law bought a used Dodge Truck and then found out later that it was a Canada truck, the dealership had him bring it in and they got a new title for it.

NW-sickboy

it would need a whole computer put in it for it pass emisions. As told to me buy 2 dealerships and 1 VW specialty shop.

V-DAWG

someday
Like everyone else is saying, get a lawyer. The car is worthless in America. Let the Highway Patrol know of the person who passed the emissions the first time, so that they can take their license away. This guy is obviously a dirt bag. He knew what he was doing, and he will do it again when she trades the car in.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Here is where I am confused...
What is not showing up? Do they have to have the vehicle VIN show up to do emissions? It sounds like it was already licensed so I am thinking emissions is the problem.

Some counties do not require emissions (Cache and Box Elder come to mind...) Got family in either one? ;)

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
You could get her to sell it to someone in Cache or Box Elder county (Brigham City or Logan). No emissions up here :D and it is NICE! I don't understand why she wants another Jetta. I HATE mine with a passion, and everyone that I work with or know all feel the same way. The cars aren't built right for this type of terrain. My moulding falls off all of the time, the windows won't roll down, the alignment constantly needs to be adjusted, and I have replaced almost all parts of the electrical. If she has had it for only a year she should look into another type of car. These cars are JUNK! Mine is a 97 and a POS.

NW-sickboy

Spork said:
Here is where I am confused...
What is not showing up? Do they have to have the vehicle VIN show up to do emissions? It sounds like it was already licensed so I am thinking emissions is the problem.

Some counties do not require emissions (Cache and Box Elder come to mind...) Got family in either one? ;)

so when we would take it to a emisions place to get tested they would plug it in
and get absoloutly no information regaurding emsions. its not in the vehicles CPU. registering it in another county is really no good because she is just passing her problem on to someone else.

thanks for the input. on monday i am going to call the BBB as well as try to figure out who initially passed the emitions and threaten to turn him in if ihe doesnt give her what she paid for the car. as well as pursue the complaint witht he county and state.

If the guy who sold her the car wont take action after that i may foot the initial bill to take the guy to court.

anything else i shouild consider.

NW-sickboy

PierCed_3 said:
You could get her to sell it to someone in Cache or Box Elder county (Brigham City or Logan). No emissions up here :D and it is NICE! I don't understand why she wants another Jetta. I HATE mine with a passion, and everyone that I work with or know all feel the same way. The cars aren't built right for this type of terrain. My moulding falls off all of the time, the windows won't roll down, the alignment constantly needs to be adjusted, and I have replaced almost all parts of the electrical. If she has had it for only a year she should look into another type of car. These cars are JUNK! Mine is a 97 and a POS.

i had a 95 that i put 95 thousand miles on in 3 years. was a really good car. although i do know of alot of people that have had the usual door handle, window, and electrical problems. since VW has merged with some other automakers and they seem to have a better quality control. she is looking for a new one....

like i said if she sells it to someone who is in a non emision county its still not leagal and she doesnt want to be in the loop of a bad vehicle.